How do you store fertile eggs prior to using an incubator?

As an update to my previous “Tips On Collecting Hatching Eggs” I still prefer to incubate eggs that are 10 days old or less. However my last hatch of Turkey eggs this year I did not get eggs set one week and held them until the following week. So I had Turkey eggs that were a full 2 weeks old. Out of 54 eggs that were 10 days to 14 days old I had an 80% Hatch rate with several hatching that were a full 14 days old. I was suprised that they did as well as they did. I think the storage of these eggs was the main reason fore the sucess!

What type of incubator is good for a newbie who just got a roo this yr!
I also just got a Cochin that I've been told had gone broody. But not sure if she would go broody when I would have eggs.
So why one should I use?

I had heard that even if the eggs are kept in the fridge, they will still hatch?

As an update to my previous “Tips On Collecting Hatching Eggs” I still prefer to incubate eggs that are 10 days old or less. However my last hatch of Turkey eggs this year I did not get eggs set one week and held them until the following week. So I had Turkey eggs that were a full 2 weeks old. Out of 54 eggs that were 10 days to 14 days old I had an 80% Hatch rate with several hatching that were a full 14 days old. I was suprised that they did as well as they did. I think the storage of these eggs was the main reason fore the sucess!
There are studies that show turkey eggs stored 14 days will hatch well if they get a 0.5oF increase in incubation temps during the first week.

Quail also hatch OK after 14 days - some studies say they do better if stored for 7-10 days and Chukar can easily be stored 3 weeks and can hatch 66% stored 21-28 days

Studies are not as kind to prolonged storage of chickens or especially pheasants

It depends on the bird breed and storage conditions. Kekko describes perfect conditions very well.

I had heard that even if the eggs are kept in the fridge, they will still hatch?
i have had a greater than 50% hatch on trader joes fertile eggs 18 days old when bought from the fridge in the supermarket.

this tells us that if you have eggs that are not optimally stored, give them a try. it does not say to use this method of storage

Very true! Good point!! We will see as I put one egg in the fridge for. 6 hours, then I changed to my mind and I decided to hold back a few eggs for incubation. I marked the egg so I will know if the egg develops or not. Time will tell!

thanks so much to all that had input on this subject. I have been wondering for years what was best. I guess I've been lucky all this time hatching out my own eggs from my hens via incubator because my success rate has been about 50% or more and while mostly roosters..have gotten many hens as well. I love hatching out my own "babies". Always have wondered what I could do to be more effective. I love Backyard chickens peeps!! R.Y

Back
Top Bottom