How do you tell the difference between White Leghorns and White Stars

kate2008

Chirping
Mar 16, 2015
Georgia
Last month we obtained a couple of white battery birds at the end of a research study. They are six months old and enjoying the free life. I assumed they were White Leghorns but after looking at picture here on BYC, I realize they could be White Stars. How do you tell the difference. In pictures, they virtually the same.

They are virtually the same. The hybrids will lay more eggs, designed for the egg laying industry. The main difference is the commercial hybrids will have a flopped over comb. Look of a Hyline layer. That's the pinnacle of white egg layers. Being a "star" I'd assume it's a sex link making obvious which will be layers at hatch. With that in mind there may be some leakage of other color. A Pearl White Leghorn is pure white.

I got told that he/she is a white star but I don't think he/she is

She is not. It's a Columbian or Light such and such. By breed this color variety is called ether one. White legs and it's a Light Sussex, yellow legs and single comb Columbian Plymouth Rock, rose comb Columbian Wyandotte and pea comb with feathered feet is Light Brahma. There must be more...

Here are the birds in question. My guess is that they are likely a Hyline hybrid like since they were rescued from a egg production / feed efficiency study.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom