How do you transport chickens?

If it's just 45 minutes or so they won't need food or water. And you can pack them into a box. Just fold the top down and overlap as you would for anything else. As soon as they are in and moving they won't move until you get them into thier pem

I am traveling 17 hours, and my problem is this. I have peeps from about a 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks old. If I put them in the pick up, I wont be able to use the air and it is very hot? If I put them in a cat carrier in the back with a blanket, will they get too much wind? I am worried about making this trip with them but I have to. Which would be better?

i wouldn't know what to put them in as we are hopefully buying the house and then some runs with them at the same time and it is about 45 mins away at the most

Once chickens are in the dark and moving they usually remain quite. A 24 hour journey that begins say at noon the first day and ends at noon of the second day shouldn't require any food or water. Half an apple or orange (per day) is sufficient for longer journeys. Only enough room to sit and stand in place is best. Do remember that chickens control their internal temperature by painting or respiration. Give them plenty of ventilation. Do not keep chickens in transit in a hot, dry, or sunny environment. They after all are Red or Gray Jungle fowl. Therefor chickens like it best when kept in a shady, moist, and airy environment.

I bought myself these today :

Very easy to use and there is space enough for 5 adult birds. (Wyandotte bantams in my case)

For larger birds I use small animal cages, like rabbit hutches. Depending on size of birds I will make judgment call on how many it can carry, trying to make sure they can all lay down/squat. Problematic part is feces. I have a designated 6x6 tarp for lining under the cage(s). When done I shake it off, lay outside and let the rain wash it off. For smaller birds, small enough that they can escape the cages I just use a box of appropriate size to accommodate chicks. Lid is loosely shut or folded together. Haven't ever lost a bird. But I only travelled an hour at max.
I knew a farmer that loaded 100 white leghorns (From an Amish laying house being replaced) into a Ford Taurus in feed sacks, 5 birds per sack. Trunk and back seat filled and lost 5 birds out off 100. I thought for sure he was gonna lose at least half. Not suggesting this but chickens are rather hardy and can withstand a lot of abuse.

I've purchased 7 chickens that I need to pick up on Saturday. Would 7 x A4 Paper Ream boxes be okay? We're only travelling around 30km tops, and they will be in the tray of my ute underneat the tonneau.

Wow - I love those baskets! Where did you get them? Are they made for transporting chickens or were you just creative? How cool!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom