How does a duck do after the passing of its mate?

Is it possible one duck died of depression if I took the other one in to heal ? Last night I noticed one of our ducks limping and barely walking … so I took her in and kept her in my bathroom with the bathtub…woke up took the female out and let her out for a bit to let her walk around … she seems to be doing better but I went back and the male was dead… I’m thinking a cat but no stress feathers were no where to be found just him laying there ? What do you guys think.. I’m gonna head to the feed store in just a bit to get another one cause I’m afraid this one with go into depression ? Or am I overthinking things? Thank you in advance :)

Ducks are very social and need companionship 24/7. We don't know what killed the drake. Usually they can manage a while grieving. Sad for your loss....

An unbreakable mirror can help, short term.

If you get a young duck, you'll need to closely manage their interactions. Adults often don't react positively to youngers. They can even harm them. So be watchful.

Thank you … that’s what I was thinking .. cause the ones I have now well the one I have now :( is bout 3 months old… I’ll be going to do the feeder store to ask them too… but thank you on letting me know bout the adult vs baby on which one to get :)

Back
Top Bottom