How does mum know chick is cold?

Jojosine

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Scotland
Hi all
Harvey is 11 days old and is going outside with mum for the first time, but as I a live in Scotland, the temperature is around 60 Fahrenheit (15C) during the day.

How does mum know if Harvey gets too cold? Or will he peep and climb under her feathers when he feels cold?
He knows how to use the ramp back into the coop, but until now we have coaxed them back into the coop after being 10 minutes outside, so they can sit in the nest again.

First time chick-mum, so I worry about everything!

Oh, and he already has wing feathers, see picture:

Attachments

• Harvey_ramp.jpg
    Harvey_ramp.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Momma Hen and Chick work together to be sure chick is comfy. If she gets too hot she will get out from under Momma and sit by her side. Sometimes chicks like to get on top of Mom. If chick is too cold, she will burrow under Mom's feathers. Mom constantly makes the "Mom cluck" and chick answers with the baby peep sound. They stay together with that communication. They can stay out in 60° longer than 10 minutes. Feathers are the warmest covering found in nature! Good luck! :D

Momma Hen and Chick work together to be sure chick is comfy. If she gets too hot she will get out from under Momma and sit by her side. Sometimes chicks like to get on top of Mom. If chick is too cold, she will burrow under Mom's feathers. Mom constantly makes the "Mom cluck" and chick answers with the baby peep sound. They stay together with that communication. They can stay out in 60° longer than 10 minutes. Feathers are the warmest covering found in nature! Good luck! :D
Thank you! They do talk to each other right enough and yesterday I saw them going into the coop together, presumably for his afternoon nap 😃

Back
Top Bottom