How early is to early to float test coturnix quail eggs?

Farmerman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
I read a bunch of old threads on float testing coturnix eggs. so i understand how to do it, Im just not sure how early I can do it....

so it doesnt work until the eggs are just about to hatch? in some of the older threads people mentioned you could do it at day 9-10 I believe.

Wait Lemme Re-phrase That....

I Will Float Some Pheasant Eggs That Are Too Dark/ Thick To Candle At Transfer Time--- When They Get Moved From Incubator To Hatcher For Lockdown... Otherwise I Dont Float Test Eggs Until Over-due For Hatch... Sorry Its Not Really Pheasant Season So It Took A Little While For Me To Remeber I Do Float A Few Earlier Than The Confinement (hatch) Date. Some Pheasant Eggs Can Be Most Challenging To Candle... If Hatcher Space Is At A Premium And I Have The Time To Kill I Will Float Test The Ones I Cant Candle... I Dont Usually Candle Arbitrarily Or During Incubation Periods... I Try Not To Disturb The Incubator Environment Any More Than Necessary, Since I Use A Seperate Hatcher I Candle At Transfer And Chuck The Duds Then, Lockdown The Viable Eggs And Go On To The Next Project... For Coturnix, And Buttons When I Had Them, I Simply Incubate, Tansfer And Lockdown, Then When They Became 24-36 Hrs Late They Went Swimming To Check Viability As A Way Of Making The Decision To Give Them More Time Or Toss Them And Move On.

I never bother to float coturnix eggs, I have better things to do in my time.

Unless somehow I get some of the expensive, precious, misterious giant godzilla dinorex 1lb+ "lost" but perhaps found again A&M's.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom