How early to give treats?

Quote:
Have you tried fresh raw corn? It was hilarious watching them grab it out of each other's beaks and run straight across to the other side to the brooder so they can scarf it down before the others get to it. Who needs tv?

Today is the second day of giving our one week old chicks worms.
After watching one jump repeatedly 2 feet in the air to finally get a spider I decied they were ready for them.
Our others we did not start until they were 4 weeks old.

I am surprised at the difference in behavior from the two different breeds!

farrier! :

I am surprised at the difference in behavior from the two different breeds!

What breeds do you have and what are the different behaviours that you are observing??​

We started out with Golden Lakenvelders. They were 5 days getting here. They sent replacements, a week early and Golden Spangled Hamburgs. Out of the 21 Hamburgs only 7 made it.

I have ordered and received more grow-gel, I think that is the reason we saved as many of the Lakenvelders as we did.

The Hamburgs are trying to fly already. They head "up" on everything. When help(held!) the Lakenvelders will quiet down and often freeze. The Hamburgs are always looking.

The Lakenvelders even now are slow about new things and were very careful about the worms to start with. The Hamburgs attacked the worms first thing.

The first day they were here I "talked" to one of the Hamburg's and it looked me in the eye then flew to my face.....the Lakenvelder's avoid eye contact.

When something walks past the Lkenvelder's they either quiet down and freeze or run to the other end of the brooder and complain.
The Hamburgs complain about anything and everything they do not like and do not run until something is coming into there brooder.

Overall the Hamburgs seems more like a TB or and Arabian and the Lakenvelders more like a laid back Quarter horse.....
smile.png

Last edited:
I love reading all these comments on this post. I am new to the chicken family also, and was wondering the same thing!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Have you tried fresh raw corn? It was hilarious watching them grab it out of each other's beaks and run straight across to the other side to the brooder so they can scarf it down before the others get to it. Who needs tv?

I'd try it but I doubt they'll touch it... they just look at the stuff like its foreign LOL! they don't even try it!

i feed my the chick starter, but i gave them worms the other day, My step dad has a worm farm and has like 1000 worms, and they went crazy over them, they started jumping around and what not it was very cute:cool:

I've been giving my 6 meal worms since they were about 3 weeks old. They are now 6 weeks and they love cooked oatmeal and quinoa. I also toss in some swiss chard that I have in the garden and they ate all that up as well. Lettuce is a good one too. I put some yogurt in the oatmeal and they loved it.
I've been checking their poops and they all seem very healthy...nothing runny. They are all very active and seem in top health so I think giving good treats is a good thing. I wouldn't want to eat chicken starter everyday, all day long!

just gave mine a boiled egg tonight

they loved it ... one would get a chunk of egg and start running with it and the other would chase her ... even though there was more than enough to go around

Back
Top Bottom