How easily are diseases transmitted?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
My sister and I are going to the county fair tomorrow evening and I would love to go through the poultry barn to check out the chickens. Being a flock owner, is this safe? How likely is it I could bring a disease home to my chickens? Is it as easy as something coming home with me on my shoes? About 2 or 3 years ago they cancelled the poultry show due to avian flu. I guess that has me a little paranoid...

I'm so happy to see someone want to discuss this issue. While poultry shows are fun and interesting, they are often sources of disease that can easily be brought home to your flock. Yes, viruses can be very sturdy critters and will hitch a ride home on the soles of your shoes and even clothing.

Viruses can be airborn, mix with dust, settle on surfaces, get on your shoes and clothing, and remain alive for long periods. If you are scrupulous about disinfecting your clothes and shoes, and wash up thoroughly, you should be okay. Wear shoes and clothing that can be laundered as soon as you get back from the fair.

Buying chickens at shows and swap meets can result in bringing home healthy seeming chickens that just happen to be asymtomatic but carry an avian virus.

It's pretty darn safe but there are things you can do to make it safer. Don't wear clothes, especially shoes, that will later be around your chickens. So change clothes when you get home. You can take a shower if you really want to be safe, but at least wash your hands. That's pretty much it.

Be courteous. It's possible your chickens could have some flock disease that they have an immunity to but that they can spread to other chickens. Coccidiosis is a perfect example but there are others. Take the same precautions going to that show to protect other people's chickens.

Back
Top Bottom