How high should a roost be for chickens with clipped wings?

peopleRanimals2

Songster
Jun 30, 2015
Rhode Island
238c06bede2cdb980357f0e5a47cdd5b.jpg

I am thinking about building this coop, and clipping my future chicken's wings. It has some good features, but I was wondering if the perches are sufficient. Here is a close up. The space is good, and it is hard to see, but there are two separate perches next to the nesting box space and ladder.
maker-faire076.jpg

4638040972_c7df7c6d7c_z.jpg

PS these are online pics of this.
just-fine-design.jpg

Is this ok for clipped wing birds? we would tweak it a little to meet our needs; moving a roost a little, ect.

Thanks to all, and yes, I know the downsides of wing clipping and have done a lot of research. We may not clip them if they aren't flying out of the run. PS hokum Coco those are pretty chickens.

I haven't found it necessary to clip wings at all. I would say, based on my own limited experience, don't do it unless you've got a serious problem. It's easy to make your fence higher by using PVC pipe to extend the fence posts higher, then attach deer netting with zip ties. I haven't even needed to do that though. Mine only like to fly along at two to three feet high off the ground if they're excited to see me, and they rarely ever do that.

Flying might help mine escape from a dog or predator someday.

Last edited:
I haven't found it necessary to clip wings at all. I would say, based on my own limited experience, don't do it unless you've got a serious problem. It's easy to make your fence higher by using PVC pipe to extend the fence posts higher, then attach deer netting with zip ties. I haven't even needed to do that though. Mine only like to fly along at two to three feet high off the ground if they're excited to see me, and they rarely ever do that.

Flying might help mine escape from a dog or predator someday.
The thing is, my mom doesn't want to make the fence higher, do you think ameraucanas will fly over a 3 1/2 foot fence? I agree with you though about the predators. If we did have to clip, we would only clip 1 wing.

Last edited:
The thing is, my mom doesn't want to make the fence higher, do you think ameraucanas will fly over a 3 1/2 foot fence? I agree with you though about the predators. If we did have to clip, we would only clip 1 wing.

If the fence posts are spray painted black and your deer netting is black the fence will be totally invisible until you're 10 feet away from it.

My EEs have been flying since they were born, so they probably would fly out.

3-1/2 feet is not high enough to keep neighborhood pet dogs or predators out, so you'll have to put at least two strands of hot wire around the outside of your fence.

Or make a chicken yard with a high fence for your birds.

Last edited:
If the fence posts are spray painted black and your deer netting is black the fence will be totally invisible until you're 10 feet away from it.

My EEs have been flying since they were born, so they probably would fly out.

3-1/2 feet is not high enough to keep neighborhood pet dogs or predators out, so you'll have to put at least two strands of hot wire around the outside of your fence.

Or make a chicken yard with a high fence for your birds.
The run is an old chain-link dog run with a couple inches higher white fence on the outside. The chain-link is 3 1/2.

The run is an old chain-link dog run with a couple inches higher white fence on the outside. The chain-link is 3 1/2.
Looks very nice, but is not high enough. Read The-Chicken-Chick.com blog about how to protect your babies from predators. Unfortunately, all the nocturnal predators also hunt in the daytime, especially since their habitats have been disrupted. If your coop and run look pretty, your mom won't care how high you have to go, I bet.

Back
Top Bottom