How likely is Hatchery to send extra chick?

Fun! What kind did you get? Which was extra? I saw on reviews someone who just ordered 6, got two extra! I wonder how they choose?
4 Barred Plymouth Rock
4 Black Australorp
4 Golden Laced Wyandotte
4 Americana
not sure what #17 is, it's all grey/blue very pretty bird but looks nothing like any of the other four. I did all pullets but #17 might be a cockeral, it's quite a bit larger than the other 16.

4 Barred Plymouth Rock
4 Black Australorp
4 Golden Laced Wyandotte
4 Americana
not sure what #17 is, it's all grey/blue very pretty bird but looks nothing like any of the other four. I did all pullets but #17 might be a cockeral, it's quite a bit larger than the other 16.
Interesting! What color are your other Americana’s? I’ve seen some that are so different looking.

Hello!

I’m starting my first backyard flock! We live on a fairly small lot in a suburban area. Our city just changed the ordinance from max 3 hens to 1 per 1000 square feet of lot space, so I can have up to 6.

I originally ordered 1 red Orpington, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 lavender Orpington from Mt Healthy in February. I had to go out to June 21 to get all these hens, but I’m okay with that. Since it’s such a small flock, I want to be picky. Last week, I added an Easter Egger.

I’m tempted to add another Easter egger, but I’m worried chicken math is getting to me 😂

I decided 3 was too small in case one didn’t make it, or got sick later or ended up a too, I’d only be left with 2. But now I’m worried about my one Easter egger being lonely. And what if it’s a rare one that doesn’t lay colored eggs?

It seems from reviews, Mt Healthy usually throws an extra chick in. If I knew 100 percent it would be an extra Easter Egger, I’d hold off.

Has anyone ever not gotten an extra chick from Mt Healthy or any other Hatchery? Is there any way to influence which extra they send? I’m thinking if they do send an extra, it will probably be an Easter Egger or Buff Orpington because those are the most basic ones I ordered.

I’m not sure I want to max it out at 6. We do live in close quarters with neighbors and I’m so new to this. But what’s one more? :p

I feel like 5 is awkward because if we only get 4, I could always get a pair next year, but can’t really do that with 5.
We just received our chicks today from Cackle Hatchery. Ordered 24 and they brought 3 more friends for a total of 27.

Mt Healthy says if you order all pullets, if you get an extra it will be a pullet. They only give you an extra of something you already ordered. Of course, I don’t know for sure if they honor that.
I just got my Mt Healthy order a week ago. I ordered 3 Bielefelders and 1 Blue Australorp, all pullets. They sent me 4 Biels and the Blue, all pullets. They shipped Sunday, May 14th, and I got them Monday morning. All healthy and chirping.

If I order chicks again, it will be from them. VERY happy customer.

Hello!

I’m starting my first backyard flock! We live on a fairly small lot in a suburban area. Our city just changed the ordinance from max 3 hens to 1 per 1000 square feet of lot space, so I can have up to 6.

I originally ordered 1 red Orpington, 1 buff Orpington, and 1 lavender Orpington from Mt Healthy in February. I had to go out to June 21 to get all these hens, but I’m okay with that. Since it’s such a small flock, I want to be picky. Last week, I added an Easter Egger.

I’m tempted to add another Easter egger, but I’m worried chicken math is getting to me 😂

I decided 3 was too small in case one didn’t make it, or got sick later or ended up a too, I’d only be left with 2. But now I’m worried about my one Easter egger being lonely. And what if it’s a rare one that doesn’t lay colored eggs?

It seems from reviews, Mt Healthy usually throws an extra chick in. If I knew 100 percent it would be an extra Easter Egger, I’d hold off.

Has anyone ever not gotten an extra chick from Mt Healthy or any other Hatchery? Is there any way to influence which extra they send? I’m thinking if they do send an extra, it will probably be an Easter Egger or Buff Orpington because those are the most basic ones I ordered.

I’m not sure I want to max it out at 6. We do live in close quarters with neighbors and I’m so new to this. But what’s one more? :p

I feel like 5 is awkward because if we only get 4, I could always get a pair next year, but can’t really do that with 5.
Hatcheries will often send an extra chick or two (You can tell them ahead of time if you don't want them to)with a regular sized order, but with such a small order, (Usually under ten) they don't usually send extras, at least not in my experience.

Hello!

Hatcheries will often send an extra chick or two (You can tell them ahead of time if you don't want them to)with a regular sized order, but with such a small order, (Usually under ten) they don't usually send extras, at least not in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom