How likely is it for an Easter Egger pulet to go broody?

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
14 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Okay so I am back on BYC to ask yet another question regarding my plan to have a hen or pullet go broody. As I mentioned in another post I put an EE pullet in a large "brooding box" with a few fake eggs (golf balls). I want her to raise some chicks for me. I am hoping she will adopt them.Unlike my silkie, she went straight for the box and settled on the nest. She sits on it all day and night. She deficates outside of the nest .... which is HUGE and gross!!
sickbyc.gif
Good so far, right?

Well when I try to touch her she willingly lets me. She's not acting broody... yet she stays on the nest???? Will she eventually go broody? I've had other birds become broody before and they mean business. She is one of the lowest birds in the flock. I know she's NOt broody...she is still laying eggs. I would feel bad if she sits on the eggs out of obligation and not to be a mommy. It kind of defeats the purpose. What am I to do?

i have a white EE named bunny that went broody about 16 days ago.
when she started she sat in the nesting box with eggs overnight. that afternoon she still was on them.
so i moved her nest in and all to a dog cage. she flew out so i left her alone
th.gif

2 days later she was at it agian so agian we tried the dog cage she got up set for a min. but setted down and went to bussiness
so sunday we will see chicks hopefully, she is very cranky,and stinky. i have remove the yuck and have clipped some feather form her rear to keep things neat. she didn't mind to much maybe the smell got to her too
lol.png

only thing i can say is give it a try.
i do know that my bantum hen will go broody after she has a cluctch of eggs. i have seen up to 10 in her hide away spot. when i see this i mark the new eggs and when she sits i give only a few of freshes ones.
good luck

I have a couple EE's and I've been wondering the same thing- will they possibly go broody? They just now started laying (they're 10 months old!) so I suppose I'll be waiting to find out! I have my fingers crossed that at least one will. Would save me the cost of an incubator; I'd like to have some chicks this year out of my own birds!
smile.png

And I'll be interested to follow this thread & see what other BYC'ers have to say! Encouraging to see at least one broody EE experience thus far. Fingers crossed for us both!

My current broody/mama is an EE, straight from the hatchery. Doing a good job. She's not nearly as growly at me as some broodies I've had, but I do have to protect myself from being pecked if I want to reach under her, and she doesn't want me or any other chickens (except the roo) near her chicks.

I've had 5 broodies now and they have varied a great deal in how upset they get with my handling them. Two didn't mind at all, but they had been pets before they were broody. They were still very good, protective mamas.

Back
Top Bottom