How long are chicken eggs good if left in the nest?

hitchiker10

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
I've been on vacation for the last 9 days. I've got 11 eggs from two chickens. The weather has been in the 60's 70's. Are the eggs safe to eat?

First of all I would suggest posting this in a proper topic
tongue.png

Ok there is this thing called the egg test, you take some water put the eggs in the water I think if they float they are good if they sink they are bad, I think
hu.gif

There are actually many places in the world where people never refrigerate their eggs, they just leave them on their counters.

I would think that the temp in the 60's and 70's would be fine. I'd be more concerned if the temps were higher but I don't have personal experience in this area so hopefully someone who does will chime in here.

And... fresh eggs will sink and lay on their side. As they get older they will start to float with one end going up and then the whole egg floating to the top of the water.

Quote:
You got it backwards, if they sink they're good - float bad.

Ditto floating is bad

I would take each egg and break it in a separate dish and then scramble them fairly done,,,they should be just fine.

Funny you've posted this. Four of my girls should start laying any time now, so I still have to get fresh eggs from the old man down the street. I went over there yesterday to get some and he tells me to be sure to crack them separately as some of them are bad. He said he didn't go collect eggs for 3 days. I live in metro Atlanta and it has been in the upper 80's to lower/mid 90's. At first I thought the eggs would be fine because of the bloom protecting them, but after breaking open the 2nd egg
sickbyc.gif
the yolk was broken even before I cracked it good. It was nasty! Only had a little smell but I knew right away that it was bad. It has really been a hit or miss with these eggs. I haven't gone back to him and just ask for some more fresh ones because I don't want to sound ungrateful. He gives them to me free anytime I ask. This time he gave me 3 doz.
sickbyc.gif
Would it be rude to just toss the rest and ask him for more? I get them about once a week and always for free. Humm???

Quote:
You got it backwards, if they sink they're good - float bad.

Ditto floating is bad

I would take each egg and break it in a separate dish and then scramble them fairly done,,,they should be just fine.

My rotten ones didn't float at all. Go figure!

Quote:
yes, but this is the first time he's gone a while without collecting. I've never gotten bad eggs from him before. And he warned me, too. I'm just wondering if it would be rude to just toss them and get more. His wife was disgusted about the rotten ones when she cracked them open. I'm thinking I may just go back. I suppose he'd understand. I'm pretty sure his wife would. LOL

Ok You All,
Time to answer this once and for all.
Fresh eggs don't float ! Could'nt tell you about old eggs, don't have any!

Back
Top Bottom