how long before adding 8 week old pullets to existing flock?

linda0210

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
have not purchased yet but am looking to add 4 8-week old pullets to existing flock, 8 existing hens ranging in age from 3 years to 6 mos. Trying to figure out if i need to set up a temp coop situation until they get a bit older. Coop is 6'x 8' and run is 8' x20'

I would keep them “look don’t touch” for a week or so after getting them. Just to let them get to know each other and avoid too many scrapes after introduction.
Hope you checked the source and health of the chickens where they are coming from.

have not purchased yet but am looking to add 4 8-week old pullets to existing flock, 8 existing hens ranging in age from 3 years to 6 mos. Trying to figure out if i need to set up a temp coop situation until they get a bit older. Coop is 6'x 8' and run is 8' x20'
I would. Your coop and run meet the minimum requirements you often see on here for 12 adults that are fully integrated. Until my pullets start laying they typically form a separate sub-flock, existing near the adults but avoiding them. Once they start laying they are usually accepted into the main flock. Until then, if they invade the personal space of the adults they are likely to get pecked or worse. It usually does not take long for them to learn to avoid the adults. This is during the day and as they are settling down to sleep at night. My immature chicks do not sleep with the adults.

I'm using a lot of weasel wors like "typically", "usually", and "likely". Like practically everything else in real life you can find exceptions to this but I don't plan for the exceptions to be what will happen.

The way I would approach this would be to build a separate coop for the four next to the existing coop/run. Enclose the new coop with its own run with a common fence so they can see each other but not get at each other. I don't know where you are located so I have no idea about your weather but at 8 weeks they probably just need a shelter from your worse weather, not a full-blown coop. But think about predators with your run, you need to keep them safe.

House them across the fence for at least a week so they kind of get used to each other, then create an opening in the fence between them so they can mingle as they wish. Provide separate food and water stations so they can eat and drink without challenging the adults. When I do this type of thing I have food and water in the main coop, in the main run, and in the separate area but I have more chickens and a lot more room than you do. Sometimes the young ones sleep in their own area until they move themselves into the main coop but I usually let them mingle this way for a month or so and they have proven they can mingle without being attacked before I move them to the main coop.

Sometimes you can get a hen that will attack the young ones even after doing all of this. The less space you have the more likely this is and your space is tight. I try to be patient and flexible, observe them and let them guide me as to how fast I need to do this.

Good luck!

A lot depends on your set up. But another way that I have had very good success with, is to lock your older birds outside of the run/coop. Lock the new birds inside. This lets them explore the coop/run, without being chased for their lives. Then towards dark, put the littles in a dog crate and let the bigs back in. Feed along the fence line.

Next day - rinse repeat

In my set up, there is enough space for the dog crate in the coop. I put it in there with the chicks inside. on the third day, I just let the door open, and they go out into the run in the morning on there own terms. Generally speaking, that is all it has taken for my birds.

HOWEVER: I have a lot of hide outs, roosts, mini walls and multiple feed stations set up so that a bird eating at one station cannot see any birds eating at another. I would have a feed bowl for every 2-3 birds until I am sure this is going well.

Sometimes you will just have a real wicked older bird that won't give in. If so, put her in the crate for a couple of days.

Mrs K

Similar to the original poster of thread

I have 2 mature hens (Flock A) laying eggs, a big 4x8 coop for them and 10x10 "run" (Coop A), and half the backyard. They have been alone for 3 months. Then we bought 8 chicks (Flock B) and they are now 12-13 weeks max raised from 2 weeks old.

I moved the 8 of them next to Coop A around 6 weeks where the adults have seen them through the fence for the last 2 months. I built a bigger coop (Coop B) next to Coop A and moved them into there for more room, but still in sight of mature birds.

We then bought another 9 chicks (Flock C) who are about 6-7 weeks now. I built them a smaller enclosure (Coop C) next to the 2 coops so everyone can see each other for the past 3-4 weeks.

Then I opened up Coop B/Flock B to explore the backyard with the 2 mature hens. 1 of the Flock B is possibly a rooster and as big or bigger than both of the mature hens but the 2 hens have grabbed onto all their feathers from the back, I seen one pull a feather all the way out. Flock B is now scared of the 2 hens and always runs past them or stays away from them.

unfortunately the way I designed it there is a choke point from the backyard to the coops so if the mature hens are in that 2 foot gap there is no crossing without the 13 week olds being skittish

Then I probably did something bad. I opened a hole between the 13 weeks and the 7 weeks old coops, Coop B and C, because I want them all together and have more area. So it has been about 3 days like that.

Flock C, 9 birds/7 weeks old, are being chased around similarly to what the 2 old hens are with the 13 week birds. I put areas for them to hide and get away from the bigger birds but my design is not optimal and sometimes they get cornered with a lot of commotion.

I originally put Flocks C's feeder and waterer in the coop B to encourage exploration and to move into the bigger space while keeping the smaller, coop C safe place open for them. I might have to move Flock C's water and Food back into Coop C to relieve the pressure. I haven't seen any blood but I noticed some feathers missing off 1 birds tail.

It is mainly the rooster from flock B that starts chasing Flock C.

It is crazy, if I had a full time job I could not baby sit them all day. I have read multiple articles about flock integrations and pecking order. I try to keep them separated so Flock B doesnt eat Flock A's layer feed/oyster shells because I dont want them to get kidney damage from the calcium.

Any advice appreciated except telling me I should not have done what I did because I already know it would be simpler.

Back
Top Bottom