How long can a 17wk rooster go without water?

mammachick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
We are re-homing our rooster today. We put him in a box late, late last night with food, but no water. The guy who is taking him, won't get him home until about 4:00 today. Is that too long without water? The other thing is we are supposed to put him in the back of his truck until he get backs in from a meeting, so it would be from about 10:00-2:00 in the back of a truck in a parking lot. What do you think? Bad Idea? Will the rooster be okay? Weather is overcast, and the hig will be in the 50's

needs water more then food- its 65-70 here in a closed system 80-90+...
sad.png

He has food, but we did not put water in there, becasue we were afraid of it spilling. If I out water in the box with him in the back of the truck will he be okay? I don't want to leave him there if he won't be okay. He is our pet, but we cannot have a rooster.

I, personally, would NOT leave him in the back of a truck in a box - not enough air vents. Goodness - should the sun shine on him for even a few minutes shut up in a box, it would be cruel. Maybe I would leave him in a dog kennel/crate. (I would worry about someone taking him or letting him loose)

Water is a must - use a deep bowl for him and have your friend return it.

If you absolutely cannot put a bowl of water in there, how about a honeydew melon or something like that that will provide him with some moisture.

In a closed box without ventilation, he's gonna get pretty hot.

Chickens do not digest their feed without water. A need for water right along with feed or no feed at all but fruit. That's why fruit is used in shipping when all else fails. Holes for ventilation.

Ventilation is a must. He can live 4-5 days without water, in a pinch. Have much shipping experience and I always put a slice apple in for moisture. Sent a pair to Guam years ago. They went there, got sent back, PO turned them around and sent them back. The recipient got them 6 days after shipping and they were OK. Not recommended, but your bird should be fine. Stuff a little water down him before packing and don`t feed........Pop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom