How long can chickens carry Mareks without showing symptoms?

HenFriend

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
West Wales, UK
I am 90% sure I have Mareks in my Silkies, I haven't had a blood test but have had several symptoms of the different forms. A few years ago I bought some birds from a show, they were from commercial breeders and I thought the birds has been vaccinated. Two of them died within a year, one with a tumour and the other had discolouration of the pupil and eventually blindness.

A few years on and over the last few months I am losing my silkies at an increasing rate, 2 with tumours, 3 with paralysis, although they were eating and the poop looked ok, one was a bit wheezy.

I had one euthanised a week ago as he was in so much distress and lost my favourite boy this morning. Apparently silkies are particularly prone to this disease.

I just wanted to know the likelihood that it's been in my flock for a few years without the symptoms showing.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone and am hoping that just maybe some of my birds have a strong immunity as when they go I decided that I will leave it a few years before restocking.
hit.gif

Mareks is hard to notice until the very end.. However it can stay in the soil for years...hope someone more experienced can help!

Back
Top Bottom