How long can I get them to use the same nest?

5 Acre Rooster

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
North Missouri
I have posted a bunch in different threads about my guineas. But never asked the important (To me) question. I have a nest that is new and it has 3-4 hens laying in it no. If I leave seed es how long can I get these hens to continue laying in the spot? Will they abandon the spot if the clutch doesn't grow? I plan on leaving 6-8 eggs in the nest but collecting the rest daily, when birds are off ranging in the pasture.

I found a nest of almost 60 Monday and ruined that spot when I collected the eggs for the incubator. It took a couple days but they have a new spot which is a little better I think. More protection, fenceline and brush pile and closer to crowin roosters. And it is close t the coop and the house.
Will the hens realize after a few days that the pile is always the same size? Or will the lay until they have a decent clutch to sit on? I know when nature kicks in they will sit even if just 1 egg is there.But has anyone have good luck getting them to supply eggs for a very long time from the same nest spot? Like a month? I plan on letting them set later in the summer but want to get as many keets as I can because I lost alot of keets last year letting them raise them their selves. 4/32 is not a good record. Although it doubled the flock numbers, its not very impressive. They hatched them great but like 90% of people say they are terrible mothers.

I have posted a bunch in different threads about my guineas. But never asked the important (To me) question. I have a nest that is new and it has 3-4 hens laying in it no. If I leave seed es how long can I get these hens to continue laying in the spot? Will they abandon the spot if the clutch doesn't grow? I plan on leaving 6-8 eggs in the nest but collecting the rest daily, when birds are off ranging in the pasture.

I found a nest of almost 60 Monday and ruined that spot when I collected the eggs for the incubator. It took a couple days but they have a new spot which is a little better I think. More protection, fenceline and brush pile and closer to crowin roosters. And it is close t the coop and the house.
Will the hens realize after a few days that the pile is always the same size? Or will the lay until they have a decent clutch to sit on? I know when nature kicks in they will sit even if just 1 egg is there.But has anyone have good luck getting them to supply eggs for a very long time from the same nest spot? Like a month? I plan on letting them set later in the summer but want to get as many keets as I can because I lost alot of keets last year letting them raise them their selves. 4/32 is not a good record. Although it doubled the flock numbers, its not very impressive. They hatched them great but like 90% of people say they are terrible mothers.
That's where the term Nest Egg came from. People used to leave something that looked like an egg in the nest to keep them laying in the nest. Frequently an old white ceramic door knob was used. It didn't seem to matter that it wasn't exactly egg shaped. I have never known them to leave a nest because the clutch wasn't growing, A plastic easter egg should make a good nest egg.

6-8 (marked) eggs will keep your Hens laying there, but it does not guarantee they will continue to lay there for very long... mainly because there are never any guarantees with Guineas, lol. The more they see you around their nest, taking too many eggs from the nest at once or if you spook them off the nest too many times etc are more likely to be what makes them abandon the nests, IMO/IME.

Being able to collect fresh eggs for at least a month from a salted/baited nest is common with my Hens. They eventually give up and find a new spot tho.

You may end up having a Hen to go broody on the few eggs that are left in the nest... if she's determined, and feels the nest is safe/private enough.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for responces. On day four of the seed prodject and have hen #4 laying there as well. If I could get them to lay there for a month I would be floundering in guinea eggs. Thats 10 dz from my girls not counting where girls 5 and 6 are laying. I think 1 is on a nest though or she got nabbed. Maybe I will see if I can sell/trade some to a local lady that is a guinea freak.
I will let them hatch at least 1 batch but I plan on being the brooder. I am also thinking of keeping some keets in confinement even after the brooding process to see how well I can get them to do penned, mostly so I don't have to search for eggs/nest. Does anyone have a history of doing this? I think if confined and allowed to hatch/brood they would be better mothers, but not sure. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom