How long do chickens sleep per day?

Most of time when sun below horizon (night) although they do periodically awaken when disturbed. During actual daylight hours sleeping seems to be restricted to middle of day when birds are loafing (doing little in protected location with a view) following bouts of feeding. The daylight sleeping likely amounts to less than hour per day. Having flockmates can increase sleeping because others watch for predators. Younger birds seem to sleep much more, especially when brooded by mom.

Interesting question.

I was trying to find out the same thing. Now that it's dark earlier, they head up to their coup around 7-7:30. Unfortunately, my roo starts crowing around 4:30 and he is not popular with me or the neighbors. Tonight I kept a light on until 10 hoping he will sleep in later.

Anyone have any experience on this topic?

I was trying to find out the same thing. Now that it's dark earlier, they head up to their coup around 7-7:30. Unfortunately, my roo starts crowing around 4:30 and he is not popular with me or the neighbors. Tonight I kept a light on until 10 hoping he will sleep in later.

Anyone have any experience on this topic?
Increasing the light exposure will increase frequency of crowing, especially at night.

Consider muffling the roost.

I think it depends on the bird and what they're up too. I have two hens and when I pay attention to there sleep habits, they're similar but very different. One of my birds is a light sleeper. If I check on them at night, she'll be the first to wake up (so sleeps less). Therefore, she tends to be the one who likes to sleep in or is last out when i let them out in the morning or is the first one to roost. The other hen I have is really active, runs around the yard, leads the flock, etc. This one is more of a heavy sleeper. If I check on her at night, I have to poke her and make a really loud noise to wake her (so she sleeps more). Therefore she's usually the last one to roost and the first one up/ out of the coop in the morning. But if I had to put a time in how many hours they sleep a guess would be atleast 7 hours in the summer but probably more in the winter months w/ less sun.

I think it depends on the bird and what they're up too. I have two hens and when I pay attention to there sleep habits, they're similar but very different. One of my birds is a light sleeper. If I check on them at night, she'll be the first to wake up (so sleeps less). Therefore, she tends to be the one who likes to sleep in or is last out when i let them out in the morning or is the first one to roost. The other hen I have is really active, runs around the yard, leads the flock, etc. This one is more of a heavy sleeper. If I check on her at night, I have to poke her and make a really loud noise to wake her (so she sleeps more). Therefore she's usually the last one to roost and the first one up/ out of the coop in the morning. But if I had to put a time in how many hours they sleep a guess would be atleast 7 hours in the summer but probably more in the winter months w/ less sun.
I have a more unfortunate system to monitor crowing behavior. One rooster roosts on front porch near bedroom window while another thirty roost in pens surrounding a baby monitor hooked up to receiver next to my bed. Crowing is pretty consistent when you look at averages. This time of year through about Christmas they crow the least but it will pickup as days get longer and really pickup once temperature get back above freezing at night.

Haha, that's quite a system. At least you'll never be late in the morning. I wish my city let me keep roosters. They seem like they have a lot of personality compared to hens.

My roosters crow when disturbed. About 4:30 am, the opossums and raccoons make their morning rounds. (Don't kid yourself....this happens in the city, too!) And the songbirds start their morning songs...another cue to roosters. There is a predawn crescendo of crickets and other night singers. Also, it's the beginning of morning traffic for early risers and the late night folks coming home. My roos sound off to connect with other roos, and to warn off predators on their last food run of the night, and the first run of the morning. The sweet part of this is that those of us whose roosters have bonded with us include us in the protection package, even when no other poultry are on site. I have occasionally spent the night in the barn, and I know this is so.

If your roo is sounding off, bring him into the house or garage, and thank him. Then get used to his/their routine, and use him/them as a snooze alarm, the way the hens do. For those of us privileged to have coevolved with these wonderful animals, their crowing is music to our souls.

Back
Top Bottom