how long do chicks need the heat lamp?

I've always kept a light available until they are FULLY feathered unless it is at least 75 degrees or above. I just also make sure that the chickens have the ability to get away from it if they want. Like I just put chicks out this past weekend into a coop that is a 7' by 2' coop and I have the light on one end and it leaves the rest unheated. Once the chicks start to avoid the light, I'll turn it off during the day but give it a bit longer during the night. I've know too many people to lose their chicks because they thought they were ready to turn off the heat too soon.

First, you make an adjustable frame for the pad to sit on. This is the most important part. It must be adjustable so you can raise or lower the height as the chicks grow, and it must be sturdy enough for the chicks to sit on top of. The frame also can not obstruct direct contact with the heating pad. A piece of left-over fencing material or hardware cloth works perfectly.
For day old chicks, you want the frame to be about 2 inches at it's highest point. The object of this brooding method is to mimic, as closely as possible, a broody hen. The chicks huddle up under the pad for quick, occasional warm ups throughout the day and at night, they retreat to the safety of their 'momma' heating pad. Makes coop training chicks a breeze, since they already know what to do when it gets dark. They already are used to night and day so it's not a terrifying new experience for them.
Anyways, spend some time each day observing them. If they are spending more time out of their heating pad cave, sitting on top of it constantly, or avoiding it entirely, it's set too warm. Lower the setting. By the end of 3 weeks, they will hardly be using it at it's lowest setting. It's incredibly simple, and the chicks feather out so much faster when they aren't constantly kept in a little oven of a brooder.

Two week old chicks, and their 'momma.'

Different group of chicks, only 48 hours old. Already heading out to explore.

For comparison, this is a broody hen with 5-day-old chicks. The temp that day was about 60*. Notice how they are all over the place, not constantly sitting under her, but still close enough to pop under her if they need to. It's not natural for chicks to be under heat 24 hours a day. The heating pad method allows chicks to choose how much warmth they need, and when they need it, just like they would if raised by a hen.

my four week olds cried too... and piled up in the corners of their coop at night. Thought they were killing each other then realized they wanted the heat at night. put the lamp back in. happy chickens again, lol

A hundred watt would work or those red brooding lights,just keep it low enough and to one side of brooder so they can get away from it if they get too hot,and in this weather make sure they are fully feathered out usually 3-6 weeks

Back
Top Bottom