How long do chicks sleep under their mother?

MINNIEMOUSE21

Songster
Feb 21, 2019
My hen has 8 baby chicks 2 /3 days old. They are growing pretty fast. How long will they all sleep under her at night and when do i move them out of the 10 x 2 ft brooder to the coop?

My hen has 8 baby chicks 2 /3 days old. They are growing pretty fast. How long will they all sleep under her at night and when do i move them out of the 10 x 2 ft brooder to the coop?
They sleep under her until they don't need her to warm them. You can open the brooder now. She'll take them out when she's ready.
What are you feeding the rest of the flock?
The chicks should only be fed starter so the entire flock should be eating that with oyster shell on the side for the active layers.

Last edited:
They sleep under her until they don't need her to warm them. You can open the brooder now. She'll take them out when she's ready.
What are you feeding the rest of the flock?
The chicks should only be feed starter so the entire flock should be eating that with oyster shell on the side for the active layers.
I live in the city so they are not allowed to free range. I am feeding the chicks and momma chick starter. I have 3 other chickens all separated as they are game hens that i adopted and they fight with each other brutally. Mother and chicks will move into coop by themselves. i just need to predator proof and make sure they are old enough. Thats wjhat im not too sure about??

Back
Top Bottom