How long do constipated chicks last?

Myah1011

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
My chick has just about became constipated, I don’t have molasses on hand and it’s way to late to go get some, should she survive the night?

How can you tell that she is constipated? How long she survives depends on what is causing it, because being constipated is not natural for chicks.

What are you feeding, btw?

Whenever she tries to poop she squats down and chirps in distress but nothing ever comes out, I’m feeding her a Purina crumble (wet) cause shes a Mille de Fleur chick,

Is there poop dried over her vent?

I would try putting a see through divider in the brooder so she is in her own section, but she can still see everyone. You want to be sure that she isn't pooping because their behaviors can be confusing, and you don't want to treat unnecessarily.

No poop isn’t dried over the vent, and she isn’t totally constipated but her poop like won’t fall and I’ll have to clean it off of her, so she’s pooping just struggling a lot, and her butthole area is extended.. I also haven’t seen her drink a whole lot so I’m probably going to have to help her with that. And I’ll have to check if we have coconut oil.

Thank you everyone for your responses but she didn’t make it, I tried everything i could but she unfortunately passed away.. I’m not totally sure what caused her to die but I believe she may have had failure to strive as she was not growing much, although I’m no expert so I really don’t know what caused her to die.

I'm sorry you lost her. It is always especially sad when a chick dies.

If their rear end is looking enlarged something is wrong for sure. We may have been able to do something, maybe not, hard to say. A lot of the ones with issues never get to fully recover and have a completely happy life, that much is true.

Back
Top Bottom