How long do eggs last?

I have kept them for longer than a month.

Fresh eggs don't always peel well when boiled. A month before a big holiday dinner when I will need deviled eggs I put away a few dozen. They never last long around here unless I put some to the side.

My fresh daily eggs I keep on the counter in a basket and use as needed. Room temp eggs cook better. I have known them to keep 3 weeks just on the counter.

Eggs are not as fragile as we think. Commercial eggs have a more risk of salmanella in them so the USDA requires the refrigeration recommendations I think to cover alot of commercial businesses backsides and wallets.

Everything these days comes with a warning lable and an expiration date because someone didn't use common sense and injured themself or made themself sick.

Here is something I ran across on this forum when I had the same question:
Eggs are good when:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
Place eggs in bowl.
If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thoroughly cooked.
If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start pivoting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
When completely upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thoroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, etc.)
Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidize; This might explain the whole floating egg method.

Refrigerated you have 3 months from lay to eat them, easily.

I spoke about this with my egg inspector. I label all mine as "best by" and give 45 days from teh day they are packed. I pack every 4th day. I know they'll last longer, but he feels it's a god compromise duration to use.

I saw a film on the web that explains that byh the time we get eggs from the farmer to to supermarlet it is about 45 days old or older. I am sure you will eat them long before they get bad.

You know you can freeze eggs don't you, scramble a few at a time and put them in air tight containers and freeze them when you have too many.

love.gif

Yes, eggs can last a pretty long time. I heard that most of the eggs we buy from the store are around 100 days old(!
ep.gif
!), and yet still edible. Farmer Kitty's advice is very good for testing the freshness. And if the egg is not heavy for its size, it's probably not fresh.

Good luck!

Floating is definetly a surefire way to tell if your eggs have spoiled. They keep , a really, really long time when refridgerated.

Floating works because air develops in a spoiled egg. You know right away if a floated egg is bad.

I'm new to the whole raising chickens thing. Love'in it so far.
Just to add to this discussion -
I don't collect my eggs until sometime in the afternoon. Some are minutes old and others are several hours old. It's hot - over 100*.
I collect them by 2pm and wash them and put them in the fridge.
Once in the fridge, I know they will last - but I sell them at work.
I'm not allowed to put them in the fridge at work and they sit out for 7-8 hours in an 80* room.
I've checked them on a really hot day and and surprisingly enough, they were still cool to the touch in the egg carton/in a paper bag 7-8 hours later.

My question is, what affect/effect
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/affect.html
(affect would be my pick...)
does temperature change like that have on the safety of the egg?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom