How long do eggs last?

I'm weighing keeping a rooster or not and seriously thinking to not keep one. I have at least 5 little ones, I'm thinking dinner.

Usually I just wipe them off & put them straight in the fridge, then I'll use soap & some warm water to wash them before I use (unless boiling) or give them to neighbors. Should I just skip the washing part? I'm also new to this whole chicken thing and I'd rather not get sick.... (or get friends/neighbors sick because of my treatment of the eggs).
Thanks

Quote:
It is my opinion, based on what i've read, that it is safer to not wash eggs, specifically the ones i sell.

If an egg has something on it like poop, i usually keep it for my own use and then wash in very warm water right before i use it.

I learned elsewhere that eggs can be sold as "fresh" for up to 60 days! Made me wonder if that's where my discount grocery store gets their eggs. Just how fresh the eggs are is a closely guarded trade secret, from what I can tell.

Glad I found this post, I wasn't sure what to do till I read some of the comments here..........I just collected a dozen eggs under two of my hens that had been hiding, so figure they were squatting on them for 3 days....temps have been in the 50's/60's, and I gave them the float test, so I'm gonna use them....

I just went thru this "how old is the egg?" on another topic. Don't have hens yet and have to buy them from other chicken people, and yesterday bought 2 dozen from a lady who had them on the countertop and not refrigerated. She assured me these were laid this week, but i was sceptical and consulted the experts on this site. They taught me how to do the float test and I'm glad they did because one was definitely bad and half the others weren't as fresh as she told me but they still sunk. Then I just read about how all those eggs I just dipped in cold salt water probably had the 'bloom' washed off, but after reading all afternoon, I understand that once they are washed or dipped in water (as the manufacterers do), that you just need to refrigerate them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the great info everyone. I have learned a lot. I do have another question though. I live outside of Houston and in case you don't know...it gets a little warm here in the summer. How does the heat affect the egg? If I am gone until late afternoon, would the eggs that could have potentially been there since the last check in the morning still be good?

My 3 pullets have started laying this past Monday... and the ducks have stopped or are just every few days.... We had come home from grocery store with 6 eggs ( chicken)... any way this Sunday he told me he would not eat an egg that was 30 days old so keep up with getting rid of the eggs from the chickens and ducks !!! I can't make him understand that our fresh eggs will last longer. Plus that the store bought eggs are at least 30 days old when the store gets them..

I trade a dozen eggs everyother week to a lady at church for fresh goats milk...

oh the other thing is that he doesn't want to eat the pullet eggs cause they are small and they are the first ones layed. He thinks there's something wrong with them...
Sheez he was raised on a farm and his mom had chickens.

any way I'm eating them.. I need to bake some goodies also with some of them..

Last edited:
Quote:
My kids are amazed that are small eggs are sometimes heavier than the few store bought eggs we had,, what does that say about FRESH!

Back
Top Bottom