How long do hens stay broody?

I just had a hen hatch out 5 turkey eggs, yesterday. She is still with the baby poults. However, I will not leave her with them long. I am wondering if this will break her broody, or if I might be able to get some other fertile chick eggs and let her hatch them out? I usually remove her from the nest everyday, and put her outside to eat, drink and relieve herself. I hate to take her away from the turkey babies, but I don't think it is healthy for the turkey to be with chickens. Any ideas?

I see this is an old thread so unsure if I should post...but my favorite little hen has gone broody. We are new to backyard chickens but we love it and my only regret is we didn't discover the fun of chickens sooner. We have three hens and though we enjoy their eggs, they are more like pets. Paulette is my cute little broody one and in the mornings when I put out some lettuce or other treats the other two get them and Paulette sits on the nest. Lately I've been making her get out of the nest for at least an hour and she will eat and drink and stretch a little...then I let her back in. It has only been ten days...I think I'll let it be and hope she snaps out of it on her own but it is a little heartbreaking to see! Now that I see there might be an increase in mites due to all that sitting...should I put something in the nest to try and prevent that?

Most hens if not broken from their broodyness will just continue to sit. Being she has no fertile eggs she is just waging a losing battle. Your best to just break her by putting her in a small crate or fencing her to keep her from getting into the best boxs every few days let her loose to see if she heads back to the nests. If she does back in the pen until she is back to normal. Good luck feel free to post questions

Thank you... not looking forward to that but I do see what you mean. I'll wait a bit and see if she stops on her own. Breaks my heart but it is their nature to want to hatch their eggs. :)

I have 1 broody hen and I only put fertile eggs under her a week after she became broody before then she was sitting on her own unfertile eggs will she start the 21 days from when I put the fertile eggs under her or has the 21 days already started

Chickens don't have a calendar luckily:) she will sit until you either break her broodiness or she hatches her eggs. I don't reccommend letting her sit much more than you are as it will be close to a month by the time her chicks hatch. Hens barely eat or drink while sitting so it's hard on them

I don't think you need to separate chicks frome the flock if there bourn into the flock . Just if you introduce them To a existing flock.

I have a question - My austrlorp has been broody for about a week now. She has been in the broody buster the entire time. She has never take this long to break before. But she is still very broody. We don't have roosters so not looking to have any chicks. Do I keep her in the broody buster until she breaks. She is eating and drinking but definitely isn't as active. I try to let her out to dust bath every few days. Usually it is about 3 to 4 days at max. We are at 7 and no end in sight. any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom