How long do I keep the mommas with the chicks?

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
We have 2 mommas who nicely share 11 chicks who are about 5 or 6 weeks old now. They are in a smaller coop together, with a chicken wire fence that separates from the main, larger coop and run. They are still doing great, mommas teaching and warming, babies running g around like crazy but still cuddling with moms at night (all 13 birds sleep on one nest box together. It's pretty cute). Zoom out to the garage.. we have a huge brooder box with 23 chicks who are feathering out. Chicken math happened...18 were "planned" in the incubator, and the coop-hatched chicks were an "oops" while we were on vacation with a house-sitter.😅 The extra 5 in the garage were eggs i rescued from the coop when moms were over hatching, just a couple days before they hatched. Anyway, I'd like to put the brooder babies outside soon, but I think the momma hens might not have it. When/how do we move them out?

We have 2 mommas who nicely share 11 chicks who are about 5 or 6 weeks old now. They are in a smaller coop together, with a chicken wire fence that separates from the main, larger coop and run. They are still doing great, mommas teaching and warming, babies running g around like crazy but still cuddling with moms at night (all 13 birds sleep on one nest box together. It's pretty cute). Zoom out to the garage.. we have a huge brooder box with 23 chicks who are feathering out. Chicken math happened...18 were "planned" in the incubator, and the coop-hatched chicks were an "oops" while we were on vacation with a house-sitter.😅 The extra 5 in the garage were eggs i rescued from the coop when moms were over hatching, just a couple days before they hatched. Anyway, I'd like to put the brooder babies outside soon, but I think the momma hens might not have it. When/how do we move them out?
Move them outside with the mothers, separate from the rest of your flock. At 5 to 6 weeks, mamas are getting ready to wean them off anyways. You will notice them pecking at them in annoyance, chasing them off. Then they’re ready to sink or swim in their own bc mama is done.

Move them outside with the mothers, separate from the rest of your flock. At 5 to 6 weeks, mamas are getting ready to wean them off anyways. You will notice them pecking at them in annoyance, chasing them off. Then they’re ready to sink or swim in their own bc mama is done.
The moms and babies are already outside in a separate coop. The 23 babies in the garage are waiting to go outside. Should I mix them with the moms, separate frin the big flock?

Some mamas will stay with them for 8-12 weeks well mine stayed with the chicks for 12 weeks. Before she left them.

The mins and babies are already outside in a separate coop. The 23 babies in the garage are waiting to go outside. Should I mix them with the moms, separate frin the big flock?
Let mama take care of them she knows what shes doing shes not dumb. She will leave them when their ready my broody hen stayed with her chicks for 12 weeks before she left them. Some broody hens cant handle talking away chicks badly and calling their names for week she can get sad and handle it badly let mama do her thing.

Thanks. They are happy together still, so I an not ready to separate them. Would you just wait until they are ready to add in the chicks who are a bit older and currently in the garage brooder?

I would put mamas & their babies in with the main flock first. Those mamas are probably gonna start to reject the chicks soon, and you should integrate them before that happens, so that they'll still benefit from mama's protection from the other adults. If that goes well, then you can move the garage chicks into the brooder pen outside.

I would put mamas & their babies in with the main flock first. Those mamas are probably gonna start to reject the chicks soon, and you should integrate them before that happens, so that they'll still benefit from mama's protection from the other adults. If that goes well, then you can move the garage chicks into the brooder pen outside.
Thank you, that's excellent.

Back
Top Bottom