how long do I wait and other ?

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
Not quite sure how long its gonna take for the broody to hatch her batch. I know its 21 days but does that start from the first day she decided to sit or a day or two later -
Today is 21 days since she started sitting so I am hoping for the appearance of a chick today or tomorow and then once I have one chick can I move the whole lot to a lower area - I am worried about the chick falling out of the nesting box or will it just stay put with mama. Also do I lock them up for a bit by themselves so just mama and chicks get the chick starter I have for them? and to just protect them in general? will they need a heat lamp or be ok with mama?
Oh so many questions I have more with this then with my own babies lol.

They should be fine heat wise with just mama..
Id lock them away from other chickens for awhile as they might pick on the wee ones..

I would put some chick starter in ther also

WHOOHOO two babies and one on its way out lol. I set up my dog kennel in the coop and lined the inside with cardboard so the little ones cant squeeze through the wires.
Mama is in with her youngsters and the rest of the eggs! transition went quite well - gonna leave her for a bit and then check on her later on again.

Back
Top Bottom