How long do Muscovy ducks lay eggs?

@zoofolk Muscovies lay in clutches, so they will only produce about 10-20 eggs and then they take a brief break (or sit and hatch them if you let them), so what yours is doing is normal. They normally lay about 3 or 4 clutches in the warmer months. Since the eggs aren't fertile, there is no point in having her sit on them, because she will do that for a while thinking they will eventually hatch. When she's actively laying, the fake eggs are good to keep in the nest because if you pull the eggs and leave an empty nest, she may hide the eggs elsewhere.
Also, I think you might be thinking of a different word-not egg bound- because that is not something you want. I don't have experience with it, but it means that the bird is unable to lay an egg.
I meant that I don't want her to get egg bound. I know that's bad. I had a cockatiel that became egg bound and we had to take her to the vet and somehow they broke it and we had to hand feed her for a couple of weeks and then she never laid an egg again.

@zoofolk Muscovies lay in clutches, so they will only produce about 10-20 eggs and then they take a brief break (or sit and hatch them if you let them), so what yours is doing is normal. They normally lay about 3 or 4 clutches in the warmer months. Since the eggs aren't fertile, there is no point in having her sit on them, because she will do that for a while thinking they will eventually hatch. When she's actively laying, the fake eggs are good to keep in the nest because if you pull the eggs and leave an empty nest, she may hide the eggs elsewhere.
Also, I think you might be thinking of a different word-not egg bound- because that is not something you want. I don't have experience with it, but it means that the bird is unable to lay an egg.
Sorry....I meant I don't want her to get egg bound. Typo.

I have about 200 muscovy hens that start laying same time every year around march and stop early September. Been that way 20 years, I'm in California.
I have only 5 Muscovy females they begin laying in March and end in late Sept.[ 200
ep.gif
] Do you own a hatchery? @outlawking Welcome to BYC.

I also have an 8 yr old female Muscovy that laid a few egg this past season.

Hey, yeah March thru Sep. The 6 month stretch every year!!!
No I was a licensed private bird farm in northern California been raising muscovy for restaurant owners but something happened to them. I'm stuck with over a thousand 4 months old muscovy right now. I need to post on here lol but it won't let me yet.

Hi Miami Muscovy!!

I have 1 Drake and 4 females all rescued. I feed Mazuri water foul and mine all enjoy Bok Choy. Here in S. Florida I don't trust them outdoors but we have built a predator free house for them with a pond. I was wondering if we can remove the eggs that our girls have laid? We don't want more, unless they are rescued and needing a home.

Thank you!!

Hey, yeah March thru Sep. The 6 month stretch every year!!!
No I was a licensed private bird farm in northern California been raising muscovy for restaurant owners but something happened to them. I'm stuck with over a thousand 4 months old muscovy right now. I need to post on here lol but it won't let me yet.
I wish I lived in California I would take some off your hands

Back
Top Bottom