How long do quail eggs stay fresh and when do they stop laying?

cereall

Chirping
May 26, 2016
San Luis Obispo County, CA
I was planning on selling coturnix quail eggs in plastic containers and I can't find any definitive answers on what I should list the best by/expiration date as. Also, for 4 months a year there is less than 10 hours of light a day. Will that make the quails completely stop laying or will egg production just decrease? Thanks!!!

I too was wondering about the viability of the eggs, not only for shipping, but between harvesting and being placed in the incubator, if the incubator is running a cycle when the eggs are collected.

A lot of what I've read says that when the eggs are refrigerated before and after being sold they last 3-6 weeks max, but in other places I've read that the eggs lasted 3 months. I think that farm fresh eggs will definitely last longer than store bought since they've been laid much more recently.

People use light bulbs to make the quail think the days are longer than they really are and this will keep them laying through the short days. I think 14 hours of light a day will keep them laying, but google it to be sure. You only need enough light to keep them awake, nothing fancy. A 100 watt light bulb in the room is probably enough. You can put it on a time to be sure it keeps a set schedule.

MY coturnix often layed right through winter even during the short days. They are egg machines.

Back
Top Bottom