How long does a Bobwhite Quail live for?

Well, you start the day they hatch. I raise mine in a dry aquarium so they can see out and sometimes play a radio for them so they get used to sounds. I have one hen at 4 weeks that I hold on to a couple times a day, carry her around with me, introducing her to berries now and as soon as they get used to food coming their way, they will 'meet you at the door'. I talk to her a lot and she cheeps and chirtles right back at me. All of my 'house quail' have craved ice cream off a spoon. No kidding. One quail flew up onto the center island in the kitchen and as soon as I had the ice cream out and put it in a dish, she starting gulping it right away.. My most recent one, could not wait to get that wine or beer in the glass. Serious. I even sent a recent pic to Deshutes brewery in Bend OR showing Georgie drinking their stout beer. Yummy.
Lots and lots of handling a bonding. Very rewarding indeed.
Jan

Hello, I had hatched 4 Bobwhites. Our charter teacher sent the eggs to us without my knowledge, when they arrived I didn't even know what they were! We thought we had a good home for them, so we hatched them. That fell out, so we had to keep them and we are not allowed to have them outdoors, so they had to live in our dining room.

I had three females and one male. I tried what you did, had them in a fish tank, I whistled to them and I held them. When they got older, we put them in a rabbit cage. I couldn't let them roam out because we have a dog and a cat. When I held them I put the dog in his kennel and locked the cat up in the other room. The quail never got tame, they would flail around so much when I was holding them, I worried they would get hurt, so I stopped holding them only when necessary for cleaning their feet. Two died in my hand while I was taking care of them. The first one died of unknown causes. The second one died when she was attacked at the back of the neck, I was holding her in my hand putting peroxide on her wound, she struggled and her neck broke. I was thinking it was already fractured from the attacks on her neck. The third female died just a few days ago. She was 2 years old. She had a bad foot fungus and her mate kept pecking at her feet, probably because her toes looked like worms. I was treating her feet, I could tell she was weak and had lost weight. I don't think she was eating. She struggled and broke her neck in my hand. I was sad when the first two died and cried, but this time I am heartbroken, I really loved this one. She was the chick that I had to pick out of the shell, so I saved her life once. I now have only my male left and he is calling for his mate all day long. I feel so bad for him, he must be really lonely. I am thinking about putting him on wire so his feet don't go bad too.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I have 4 bobs on wire floor cages with no foot problems so far. I did have some pecking issues and I was told that a lack of protein may be the issue.

Hello, I had hatched 4 Bobwhites. Our charter teacher sent the eggs to us without my knowledge, when they arrived I didn't even know what they were! We thought we had a good home for them, so we hatched them. That fell out, so we had to keep them and we are not allowed to have them outdoors, so they had to live in our dining room.

I had three females and one male. I tried what you did, had them in a fish tank, I whistled to them and I held them. When they got older, we put them in a rabbit cage. I couldn't let them roam out because we have a dog and a cat. When I held them I put the dog in his kennel and locked the cat up in the other room. The quail never got tame, they would flail around so much when I was holding them, I worried they would get hurt, so I stopped holding them only when necessary for cleaning their feet. Two died in my hand while I was taking care of them. The first one died of unknown causes. The second one died when she was attacked at the back of the neck, I was holding her in my hand putting peroxide on her wound, she struggled and her neck broke. I was thinking it was already fractured from the attacks on her neck. The third female died just a few days ago. She was 2 years old. She had a bad foot fungus and her mate kept pecking at her feet, probably because her toes looked like worms. I was treating her feet, I could tell she was weak and had lost weight. I don't think she was eating. She struggled and broke her neck in my hand. I was sad when the first two died and cried, but this time I am heartbroken, I really loved this one. She was the chick that I had to pick out of the shell, so I saved her life once. I now have only my male left and he is calling for his mate all day long. I feel so bad for him, he must be really lonely. I am thinking about putting him on wire so his feet don't go bad too.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
I am sorry about your birds. Bobwhite quail should not be held unless absolutely necessary. They injure themselves very easily. From the sounds of the foot issue you were having, it sounds like leg scale mites. Quail can be susceptible to it. Keeping quail on wire is ok, but not all that good for the feet as far as I am concerned. I think if you keep your bedding really clean, you won't have this problem again. And if you do, spot it quick and with proper treatment, you can eliminate this issue quick.

As for a lone bird, depends on this birds personality. Bobs mate for life. So yes, they can miss their mates. But if he is friendly enough with you, you can keep him as a lone bird. Possibly even bring him inside as a house bird. If he already is a house bird, spend a lot of time with him, get him out of the cage to do things around the house and Bobs can make wonderful indoor birds even when alone.

Good luck with your bird. :)

I was given 9 White Bobwhite quail and I have to say they are the delight of my life. I have peafowl (peacocks) that are my passion but my little white birds are as well. I was just trying to find out if the hens will hatch their own eggs and it's a maybe so I'll leave the little nests deep down in the hay alone. I just saw one of them lay the egg in the second one. They keep running to the nest, sitting on the eggs for a few seconds and off they go again. My gosh, they make me laugh. I have no idea how many are male and how many female but so far they are all getting along. They reside in an 8 by 28 foot aviary, 9 feet high with 2 Red Golden male pheasant. 12 feet of it is shed open on the end with the run. It's 1 by 2 inch welded wire so I'm concerned about snakes. Am adding the small mesh wire on the bottom 2 feet so nothing can reach in a grab them but doubt I'll be able to keep snakes out. Any ideas? I love all my birds and would never allow them to be eaten. They are pets and it warms my heart to see others that keep them as pets.

I have to say after having my White Bobwhite's in the large 8' by 28' aviary that's 9 feet high I'd not attempt to keep any in a small cage or pen. I'd not keep them on wire. I read about all the problems folks have with quail and I've had none. They run, fly and dig around all day. They're active and happy like they'd be in the wild. Mine sleep 5 feet up on a cedar log roost nights. There are several roosts in the enclosure and they are on them through the day. When I walk in the pen they run to my feet to see what healthy treat I've brought for them. They are so precious. I do feel a little bad for the 2 Red Golden pheasants that are beautiful beyond words. Poor birds are always running from the quail, LOL!!! I find joy in seeing my animals living a good healthy, happy life. It feeds my heart and soul. I feel fulfilled, blessed and privileged I can do this for them.

Regarding trying to hold them.....all I can say is GOOD GRIEF, they aren't holdable, LOL!!! Even the chicks I hatched recently and gave to a friend were practically impossible to hang on to at 2 days old. Some birds can be pets but don't like being touched or held. Several of my peafowl couldn't be any tamer but the best I can do is stroke their chest for a second before they move away.

LOVE MY HOBBY, LOVE MY BIRDS!

Back
Top Bottom