How long does it take for a chick to get out?

I've never opened the incubator the last 24 hours ... ever
smile.png
I've had chicks hatch on day 25... your temps might have been alittle off and that can make for a late hatch....

They can stay in the bator a day or two til the hatch is over, you can take them out when they are good and fluffy!!....

I just candled my 29 eggs on day 16 (today) getting ready for lock down on Sunday... and I had one pip open and hatch in about an hour.

OK I need to know. I opened my incabater 3or 4 times to see how the baby chicks are doing. Did I harm them in any way. This is my first time. I have baby that peped 2times but no zip yet. And another one that peped and ziped but not hatching out of the shell all the way. But sure is cherping a lot

Last edited:
Rauxann, how did your hatch turn out? I had 2 hatch yesterday late afternoon. About midnight there were about 4 more pipped and one zipped but no progress overnight. :-(

Good Morning. Woke up this morning to see my first chick has hatched! So exciting. Can anyone tell me how long it should take for the chick to dry before I take it out of the incubator?? Thanks!

OK! We're told "Hands off!" So when our first chick hatched, we did just that. We watched it run around in our Little Giant, stumbling over the other eggs and causing them to roll around. Four other eggs had pipped and one of them had started to cut its circle. Now all of them have become inactive and have been so for 24 hours. We finally took the first chick out when it had dried, but apparently it had rolled the other eggs so that the hole was on the underside and we believe the chicks suffocated. We struggled valiantly to keep the temperature and humidity at proper levels. We so wanted this to be a successful hatch for our first attempt! Now we are not sure we want to try this again. When hatch time arrived, my wife called the farm store where we bought the incubator and the sales person said it sounded as if we were doing everything right. How discouraging!

Deannuri Don't be discouraged, I found that it works better in lock down to put eggs air cell up in Styrofoam egg cartons with each egg slot cut open in bottom so humidity flows through, and baby chicks can't knock them around. Ever since doing lock down this way, my hatches have increased from 60-75% to 85-95%. Even my broody hens don't always have 100% hatch, last 3 lost at least 1-3 out of 7 eggs each. We can try and be perfect at incubating, but even real hens aren't perfect (y)

Back
Top Bottom