How long does it take to "reset" and "reignite" my female ducks to start laying again?

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
Hi,

I live in SW Wisconsin and have the following female laying ducks. I have a clientele that rely on my duck eggs as they are allergic to chicken eggs and would like to give them a potential timeline for new eggs:

Muscovy: 4 YO
Khaki Campbell: 3 YO
Welsh Harlequin: 2 YO
Anacona: 4.5 months
Cayuga: 4.5 months
Silver Appleyard: 4.5 months

The Muscovy and KC are molting, so not laying. The WH are done molting. I started artificial lighting 30 days ago (14 hrs/day). How long does it take to "re-start" the hens into laying? In my reading, the younger ones could start laying 4-7 months old. My question - with it being winter (less light - although using artificial light at 14 hrs/day) will the young ones start laying as "predicted"?
I am only looking for guidance as I want to give my clients a "potential" timeline.
Thanks a million for any and all advice :)

Hi,

I live in SW Wisconsin and have the following female laying ducks. I have a clientele that rely on my duck eggs as they are allergic to chicken eggs and would like to give them a potential timeline for new eggs:

Muscovy: 4 YO
Khaki Campbell: 3 YO
Welsh Harlequin: 2 YO
Anacona: 4.5 months
Cayuga: 4.5 months
Silver Appleyard: 4.5 months

The Muscovy and KC are molting, so not laying. The WH are done molting. I started artificial lighting 30 days ago (14 hrs/day). How long does it take to "re-start" the hens into laying? In my reading, the younger ones could start laying 4-7 months old. My question - with it being winter (less light - although using artificial light at 14 hrs/day) will the young ones start laying as "predicted"?
I am only looking for guidance as I want to give my clients a "potential" timeline.
Thanks a million for any and all advice :)
can't really help there, it sounds like you're already doing everything you can. I let my girls follow a natural laying cycle as I feel the break is good for them. Hopefully you get a reply soon

My girls have all started to lay 4.5-5 months
The first year my duck didn’t take a break other then when she sat on her babies for 30 days and one more week then started again
This winter she is finally getting a much needed break from laying
My younger girls at almost a year are still laying each morning
I would look into water glassing eggs
They keep fresh like the day they were laid for 12-18 months
This would allow your ducks a natural break in winter but you would still have eggs you could sell throughout
I think laying constantly is to hard on them in my personal opinion
Your young girls may lay all through winter to help with your clients this season

My two 2 year old Mallard hens went through their molt and stopped laying. The one started laying again a couple of weeks ago so I am still getting two eggs a day. One from one of my Khaki Campbells or Muscovy and the other from a Mallard Hen. I am surprised they are still laying but my one Mallard set on 17 eggs in early spring with snow still on the ground and hatched out 11 that lived and were all fine. I didn't think she could keep them warm enough but she surely did. They all got rehomed. Good luck with your egg laying process. I did water glass 80 eggs but so far have not had to use any.

Back
Top Bottom