How long for feathers to grow back?

I have an eleven month old hen who started showing baldness on the head and neck. I thought she was molting although the other five were not. I realized she was being picked in the coop at night. I have a small coop so I moved her to it at night. She likes it. I just watch during the day as they free range. She is very intimidated by the others and keeps her distance but she is growing feathers and getting a little more secure acting. I hope she can go back to the big coop and not be picked on, but we will see. If I knew which hen was doing the most pecking I would isolate her, but I think all five are in on it. Makes me feel sad for her.

My hens are still bare back from the winter. They were about 4or 5 months when they started to molt and the winter was setting in. Our roosters were very eager and well you know. Not only their backs but their butts are bare. I have separated the roosters and we have lost a few hens so our flock is smaller now then it was. The hens are not fighting and dont seem to be pecking each other anymore since the roosters are not with them. They are so much calmer now! Well it has been a month and only a few of the hens are even growing back their feathers. Most of the ones that had lost so many feathers are not growing back and there is no cuts, scars or any blood. They are all healed. Why are most of the hens not growing their feathers back? Im at a loss and Im scared they are going to get sun burned back there and I just dont know what to do. I have tried all that I can think off. Also I kept getting people saying mites. I have checked for mites and dont see anything. I have also dusted just in case. They are now going on a year old. Anyone have any ideas?
I know this is really old - but if you get this - what happened? i'm having the same issue.

Thanks for all the information. Sadly, the little sweetheart didn't make it. I was prepared to care for him all winter and/or until he could fly and survive on his own even if it meant his whole lifespan. I didn't know it was illegal to save a life in that manner; guess I've been breaking the law off and on my entire life.
❤️ God bless you.

Back
Top Bottom