How long have you had fowl?

User105877

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 6, 2011
I've had birds for almost thirty years. Ever since I was about 5-6 years old I've had something, with the exception of when I was working away. Currently have a trio of heritage Buckeyes. They have been great layers this year and each hen has went broody once for me.
Two pair of Seramas. One hen has three chicks currently. Have a heater in their coop and seem to be doing fine now that they are feathered out. Surprised me how well they laid this year and they are extremely broody little birds.
Two pair of guineas to test my nerves. Two lavender males, royal purple hen and chocolate hen. It's been a few years since I've had guineas but ticks got so bad I decided it was time to get a few more.

Last edited:
I've had chickens for 10 years. I would really like to go crazy and get some Emus but I'm not sure if I want that much work and commitment (that's what I have my horses for!)

I've had several breeds of chickens throughout the years and I think my favorites would be the Silkies and the Easter Eggers. Both have huge personalities and the EEs seem really smart.

Hands down the friendliest and most people seeking would be the Golden Comets I got from TSC. But sadly, there lives are just too short.

I've been giving serious thought to getting some guineas. Do they have a wild type of countenance or do they tame up like chickens?

I've had them for a little over 7 years. Since April 2014. I tell myself that I want a proper homestead but I doubt I could commit to it even if I had the land to do so. So chickens and hopefully a garden next year will have to suffice.

I've had chickens for 10 years. I would really like to go crazy and get some Emus but I'm not sure if I want that much work and commitment (that's what I have my horses for!)

I've had several breeds of chickens throughout the years and I think my favorites would be the Silkies and the Easter Eggers. Both have huge personalities and the EEs seem really smart.

Hands down the friendliest and most people seeking would be the Golden Comets I got from TSC. But sadly, there lives are just too short.

I've been giving serious thought to getting some guineas. Do they have a wild type of countenance or do they tame up like chickens?
Guineas go through a stage where they never shut up and can be pretty annoying. Seems like that is usually just before they mature. When they are first feathered out they are pretty flighty but settle down with age. What type of horses do you own?

Coming up on eight years now. I started with chickens and ducks, then shortly after got my first pair of quail.

Just over a year, and my flock keeps growing….just recently a broody mama successfully hatched 6 chicks. Fortunately I anticipated that my flock might expand and I built a much larger coop than I thought I needed. I really love my birds and their quirky personalities!

I've had them for a little over 7 years. Since April 2014. I tell myself that I want a proper homestead but I doubt I could commit to it even if I had the land to do so. So chickens and hopefully a garden next year will have to suffice.
Once you have a taste of your own garden, it becomes an addiction! You will start with 2 tomato varieties this year, and next thing you know, you've got 30+ varieties growing in your sunporch!
Guineas go through a stage where they never shut up and can be pretty annoying. Seems like that is usually just before they mature. When they are first feathered out they are pretty flighty but settle down with age. What type of horses do you own?
I own a Friesian and then a little grade horse that looks a lot like a Mustang, but I'm not sure his breed. I've thought about getting him registered through the German Riding Pony registry because he ticks all of their boxes, just have to get him "approved". That way he could have a microchip number and official documents for his identity.

Back
Top Bottom