How long is it ok to leave chicks in the incubator after hatching?

It's okay to leave them in until they're dry. I've personally, just taken them out after they've hatched and put them in the brooder with the light focused on them. They'll be tired until about 15-60 minutes have passed and will be thereafter, adventurous and curious of their new home.

Last edited:
I'd keep them in the incubator until you're sure that the hatch is over. The chicks can survive for a day or two, and you don't want a big fluctuation in temp and humidity while the others are hatching. Better to leave them alone, then move them all at once after you're sure the hatch is over.

I take them out as they dry. Keeping an eye on humidity there are times I need to let some moisture out so remove chicks then. With two or more chicks drying at once the humidity will spike way over 70%. I like to keep mine at 60%, 55% to start then maintain 60-65% during all the zipping and hatching.

Ok, I've been leaving mine in cuz I've read 24 hrs but I've had a huge gap in my hatching, and its been all day without a pip from the unhatched 6. But the hatched 6 are all dry and fluffed. They look like they are hot and almost panting it looks like (breathing fast). It's still 99 for the unhatched. I'm thinking I will move them to the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom