How long to leave chicks in coop before opening to run.

Mar 4, 2019
Alabama
I have 19 chicks and 6 ducks that are 5 and 4 weeks old. I orginally had them inside but moved them to the coop today(with heat lamp). The coop is a shed modified and attached to a chain link dog kennel. How long should I leave them inside the coop before letting them out into the kennel. Would two days to much or not enough?
Will this be enough for them to establish that that is home and they should go in at night?

I have 19 chicks and 6 ducks that are 5 and 4 weeks old. I orginally had them inside but moved them to the coop today(with heat lamp). The coop is a shed modified and attached to a chain link dog kennel. How long should I leave them inside the coop before letting them out into the kennel. Would two days to much or not enough?
Will this be enough for them to establish that that is home and they should go in at night?

I would worry about them fitting through the chain links and getting out. Not to mention what might get IN.

I would worry about them fitting through the chain links and getting out. Not to mention what might get IN.
Attaching hardware cloth to bottom and welded wire across top for predator protection.
I let them out in the run while setting things up in coop and spent way to long chasing chicks and was hoping that a few days in the coop would make that process easier but I didn't know how long to do that 1,2,3 days etc.

Attaching hardware cloth to bottom and welded wire across top for predator protection.
I let them out in the run while setting things up in coop and spent way to long chasing chicks and was hoping that a few days in the coop would make that process easier but I didn't know how long to do that 1,2,3 days etc.

Do they have a ramp they need to navigate to get back in? I would leave them in the coop for a full day then let them out about 2 hours or so before roost time the following day. They will be more likely to want to go back in for you.

Is your heat lamp one of those red lamps or is it a ceramic bulb that only emits heat and no light? Having a light source in the coop will help them get back in easier.

You will want to keep an eye on them the first few days you let them out but they should be fine. Mine started using their run at 5.5 weeks old. It took two nights and a couple handfuls of mealworms to train them to use the ramp on their own.

Back
Top Bottom