How long to separate a bully chicken

goldfishes

Songster
6 Years
Jun 13, 2014
WV
I have a small flock of 6 hens in a 8'x16' run and a coop that is 8'x3' they are allowed to free range in a 100 X 100' yard in the late afternoons weather permitting but not all day due to hawks. Two of the girls are easter eggers, 6 years old and the other four, black sex links just turned 2. After the 2 year old's first molt, one of the birds started picking on my oldest most docile bird. The eldest squats, runs away, avoids fights. The bird chases her, mounts her pulls feathers and torments her non stop both inside and outside of the run. I built platforms and placed up barriers, moved around the roost bar and nest boxes. The bird doesn't bully anyone else and gets along well with them all. The older bird was looking fed up with having to constantly battle, so I pulled the bully. The rest of the flock is serene and get along nicely with one another.

I pulled the bully and placed her in a 4x4 pen in the garage out of sight for 6 days. That late evening, I let the girls out together into the yard and observed. She went right back to bullying the old bird. Others were chasing her around and it didn't even deter her in the slightest. She's back in the 4x4 pen. Did I try to reintroduce too soon? Should I try again? If so, when? How much longer does she stay out of the coop? I'm at a complete loss. I've never seen this behavior before once pecking order was established. Eldest bird still lays eggs and is in good health.

Issue is we never ate a bird, they are pets. I'm not opposed to others eating them, but I don't have the intestinal fortitude. Rehoming would definitely be on my list if things don't work out. I'm trying to determine if I waited long enough or if she is just a bully toward her and why it changed after 2 years of living together peacefully.

Normally a rooster would take care of an overaggressive hen and put her in her place.
In an all hens flock the owner should see to it that the peace of the flock is not disturbed. Obviously this hen did not cool down or change her behaviour even after being separated for 6 days and might just keep on terrorizing the docile older hen at will.

Did you perhaps notice any signs of broodiness?

Is it better for the bully to be in sight or out-of-sight of the others?

I have no experience with a situation like this, so I'm curious. But it's usually not good to keep a chicken completely alone. And being in sight of the others might get her used to seeing them but not being able to attack them.

Normally a rooster would take care of an overaggressive hen and put her in her place.
In an all hens flock the owner should see to it that the peace of the flock is not disturbed. Obviously this hen did not cool down or change her behaviour even after being separated for 6 days and might just keep on terrorizing the docile older hen at will.

Did you perhaps notice any signs of broodiness?
I did notice she is spending a lot of time in the nest box I gave her but no eggs are being laid. She did get hateful with me today when I got close to her while cleaning her cage. Could it be broody starting and I just didn't recognize it?

I did notice she is spending a lot of time in the nest box I gave her but no eggs are being laid. She did get hateful with me today when I got close to her while cleaning her cage. Could it be broody starting and I just didn't recognize it?

The behaviour you describe leads me to think that her aggressiveness could be due to starting broodiness. In case you want chicks get her some hatching eggs and keep her separated from the rest of your flock, so no other hen will be able to disturb her by trying to lay eggs in her nest.

If you do not want her to hatch chicks, just keep her away from the nests in a wire cage for about 4-5 days with water and food.

Back
Top Bottom