How long to treat wry neck?

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
Thanks to everyone who gave me very helpful advice on treating my hen with wry neck. I've been giving her Vitamin B, Vitamin E, and selenium supplements for a couple of months now. She is much improved and can eat and drink on her own. She still shakes her head often and gets "stuck" with her head upside down. I have her in the coop but out of reach of the others because they pull her feathers out when that happens.

I'm wondering if I've obtained all the benefit I'm going to get from the vitamins now? I'm giving them all supplements of poultry vitamins in their water. Can I stop the special vitamins or should I continue?

For background, she's at least 2 years old, probably not more than 4.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of how long the vitamin therapy should continue? I've read a lot about wry neck but I can't tell if the daily doses of vitamin E, selenium, and Vitamin B are something that is needed at the beginning, for a boost, or should be continued throughout the long recovery. I'ts been almost 3 months now.

Also, does anyone know if the vitamin deficiency is something that commonly affects mature hens? I'm wondering if that's the problem with chicks but that my hen's problem is due to something else anyway, like an injury or tumor.

Any feedback would be very welcome! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom