How long until eggs are edible after stopping antibiotic?

I wish i had known this sooner...i would have waited a few days to see if she healed on her own, I am pretty sure she would have - her injury was quite tiny.

but thanks for the answer shelley

Last edited:
Quote:
Not sure about that, tcal.
hu.gif

Quote:
Even a tiny injury can set up a nasty infection, sammy. So you did need to treat her for it, some way. Next time, maybe just use an OTC antibiotic ointment on the injury. As far as the eggs, I think that at some point (say, 30 days for example) the antibiotics will no longer be in her system. And the amount of antibiotic that actually makes it into the egg during treatment is very minimal...but anyone allergic to antibiotics can get a reaction from the smallest trace amount, so they shouldn't eat them at all. So I would say no selling the eggs for a while. If you want to take the utmost precaution, wait til the fall to start selling the eggs to the public again. This is all just MHO...everyone should do what they feel is best for them.

Quote:
That is an understatement. The doctor gave my daughter a very mild dose of minocycline for acne, and it shut down her entire immune system. She had almost no white blood cells left. A common cold almost killed her. We had no clue that her body would react that way. It is a rare reaction. Now I read the possible reaction warnings that that come with all drugs. I would be careful selling eggs that might have antibiotic in them, because the people that have reactions might not even know that they are intolerant to the drug before it's too late.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that your daughter has such a terrible allergy to antibiotics, horsejody. It must be very difficult for both her and your family.
hugs.gif

I bet we would all be surprised to know how many eggs are bought in the stores which have came from chickens who are, or have been, treated with antibiotics.

For those of you who raise your own chickens, you WILL at some point have a bird come down with the sniffles or an injury...then at that point it's either cull or treat. That's when it becomes a very difficult decision...especially if the bird is capable of recovery.

Quote:
I am going to assume unless the carton says no antibiotics that the hens had them at some point, most "regular" storebought eggs dont have that statement on their packages, it is only the pricier eggs that seem to make the claim.

and ty i will wait until fall-i actually dont sell them but give them to people i know so i can ask about the antibiotics without freaking them out...it is only if

(ok WHEN
big_smile.png
) i get more hens later that I was worried about but i guess they cant cross contaminate unless i get a rooster. (true??)

ty again
sammy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom