How low is to low and how long?

Pepurr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
Bernalillo, NM
Dog gone it! This morning when I checked the home-made incubator, I found that the light had went off, and the temp had dropped to 60 degrees. When I frantically opened the lid to change the bulb, the light came back on. Crap! Makes me want to spit and cuss. Twenty five eggs, and a week of time may be ruined.
barnie.gif

Any of you guys know if 60 degrees will kill the embryos? I find all kinds of info about what temp to keep them, but never any info about what is too low, or too high. Only that to low or high for a prolonged period can cause deformities.

Shall I throw away this batch and start again?

Thanks for the response. That is what we are thinking around here. I was planning to wait till the temp had normalized for a few hours, then candle them. I was going to look for movement, but am unsure if there would be any movement after only 9 days of development.

Yeah, Its possible they will continue to develop, although chances are you will probably have a lower hatch rate. My personal experience, I had temps drop overnight down to 70s and they grew to be full grown in their shells but never hatched accept one..which died 2 days after hatch. But that could have been from other related things. Keep us updated though!
I have some silkies set to hatch on May 14-16th. ..pretty close date to yours.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom