How lucrative is it to raise chickens to sell?

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm feeling really happy about moving to a gorgeous five acre home in the country and even happier imagining all the chickens I can raise on that amount of land. The house comes with a nice big coop already! How great is that?!

My question is, for those of you who raise and sell chickens, how much money can you actually make after all is said and done. I would want to raise purebred chickens, and already have a black maran, a blue cochin, a silver-laced wyandotte and an aracauna. If I wanted, for example, to raise the SLW, would it work to just get a SLW rooster, put him and the hen in a separate pen and let them go to their business and then remove the roo when she starts setting? Or is it not healthy for the hen to have one rooster all to herself?

The plan would be to raise the chicks to an age where the sex would be clear (say 3 months) and then sell them for around $20 each. Is that a fair price? If you have a mama with the chicks, do you still need heat lamps and all that?

Any advice on this venture would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks all!

I dont make enough to feed them. Its just a hobby.
roll.png

On the small scale, I don't know many who make money off of the venture.

As for the birds, go with one roo per 10 or so hens.

How much you sell them for depends on local market variations. With some advertising I could sell a decent point of lay bird for 25 (I sell for 15 normally), but in some areas they can maybe get you 5 if anyone is interested.

And it's hard to count on the birds to set for you.

I would think it would be more lucrative if you started with good stock of a rare breed or color... but then you have probably will have spent a lot to get started, too.

You'll also want to determine whether or not you want to sell locally or ship, and if you sell chicks or just hatching eggs. If you ship, there will be the cost and time involved in packing and packing materials...

Sounds like a lot of hard work! However, if it's the type of work you love, you're set.
smile.png

I am doing well raising and selling cornish rock crosses as roasters. At 2.50/lb, I have just gotten 26 pre-orders, which will average out at about 4-5lbs each. They are definitely paying for their feed costs, and giving us some pocket change plus our own freezer full of meat birds.

I wouldn't try to pay the bills with it, though.... or even use it as gas money
gig.gif

I would say that you won't make $$ in most cases, and you're lucky to break even. If you had a good market for eggs, and a breed that is highly sought after, maybe. Also, it would be best to start with excellent breeding stock from a reputable breeder, not just hatchery stock.

Thanks for all the good tips! I'm pretty sure it won't be a huge moneymaker, but I'm hoping for something moderate, you know, just enough to convince my boyfriend to let me keep getting more hens.
wink.png

I'll be somewhat close to Seattle where it seems to be pretty darn hard to get decent chickens when you want them. Even if I make feed money, that'll do.
smile.png

Near seattle you say. Well, in that case, you'll be able to break even on feed alone no problem selling only eggs IF you keep a rotating laying stock every few years. Going rate is 3.50 for my eggs in Seattle, but I'm all under the table.

Back
Top Bottom