How manny hens does it take to sell hatching eggs

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I am interested in selling hatching eggs on eBay and I was wondering how many hens do you need to be able to produce enough eggs to sell. I would be using Appenzeller Spizhauben if it makes any difference. Thanks for your time!

Having a breed in demand or very rare has pros and cons.

Most breeds will lay fairly well for the first 18 months after POL.

For Apenzellers figure 4 or 5 eggs a week minimum. If you want to sell a dozen (usually extras are shipped so figure 15) and you want to ship fresh eggs(under 3 days old), you would probably need 8 hens to have a dozen to sell on a regular basis.
They go broody too so that may temporarily take some out of the mix.
Another thing is that one shouldn't incubate pullet eggs.
I don't ship any eggs under 50 grams.

All that would depend on how much demand is for your particular breed of egg. Check Ebay seller that are selling same and see how many they sold in the last month. Then go from there. Start small and as demand rises, expand your volume. Business may be less attractive than you think. The biggest winner in this game is Ebay. They get their percentage as well as paypal fees regardless. You are left with the chicken change that is left over after you pay everyone. Don't forget the Postal service. Also don't forget the disgruntled buyers that get eggs that are cracked, or don't hatch. The hatching may not occur for reasons beyond your control. Much can be associated with buyers error.
Wishing you BEST , because if you don't try, then you will never know.
smile.png

Thank you! I don't have a rooster yet, I am going to order him with the hens. What if I sold a half dozen? Thanks for all your help!!!

Thank you! I don't have a rooster yet, I am going to order him with the hens. What if I sold a half dozen? Thanks for all your help!!!
That is a good way to start. You don't need to sell a dozen at a time. Make sure that when you start selling, that your eggs are fertile. You can tell fertile eggs when you crack them onto your skillet. I seen a thread on this forum that showed pictures of fertile and not fertile. You can find it if you search for it in the search header. You want for your peace of mind to be sure that what you are sending are GOOD ONES. IF YOUR ROOSTER AND HENS ARE ACTIVE, THEN MOST LIKELY ALL SYSTEMS FORWARD.
thumbsup.gif

You don't want to go with the bare minimum. Rare birds are notorious for having flaws.
Think about it.
Do you want to be known for selling eggs of birds with flaws or do you want to be known for having flocks that approach the standard in color, size, production etc..
While Appenzellers may be a bit easier, I raise a bird with both a white earlobe, yet lays an extremely dark egg. They also have a carnation comb. If I lose any of those characteristics: white lobe, dark egg, totally black bird, carnation comb, slate legs, horn of ox beak, enough size to be a meat bird, not to mention conformation - do I consider my birds worthy of selling someone some of their eggs?
Unless you get repeatability of standards in your flock and you sell eggs, you're selling crap. That will turn people against the breed.

Back
Top Bottom