How many birds

Your coop should hold around 62 birds. Each bird should have 4 square feet of inside space, at least. More is better.

Ideally, you want each chicken to have at least 10 square feet of run space. If you had 60 chickens, ideally, you'd want to have 600 square feet (or 30 x 20). This may not be possible; just give them as much as you can.

Last edited:
Your coop should hold 60 large fowl chickens, allowing each bird a little more than 4 square feet. It could hold about 120 bantam chickens (2 square feet each).

How big your run is will depend on how many chickens you want to raise, and whether they'll have any other access to outside (free range?). The general rule of thumb is that each bird should have at least 5 square feet of run space. 10+ is better. If you can let them out to free range ever so often, they could do with a little less room.

Last edited:
The general rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. So a 10x 10 run and an 8x5 coop would be acceptable for 10 chickens. It depend on your flock too. I'm a little bit crowded right now while I'm working on adding more space but my flock gets along good so it hasn't been a problem, just more frequent cleaning.

Thank you for your help. Our 8 chicks will have plenty room in the coop when they are old enough and our 12' x 12' run should be big enough.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. Our 8 chicks will have plenty room in the coop when they are old enough and our 12' x 12' run should be big enough.
Yes, that sounds like plenty of room.
smile.png

Good luck with your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom