how many chickens can i have...?

painful100

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
I just got a coop today. Its a bit dirty, and I plan to clean it out very well, but its solid and pretty cool I think. It measures 4'2 long by 2'10 inches wide. What do you guys think? How many chickens can I have? Thanks (PS I plan learn a lot and get prepared before jumping in. Going to make some adjustments to this coop, make the top able to lift off so i can clean better. And how does the ventilation look? Thanks peeps

It is approximately 12 square feet. If you are going to free-range or will have a run with >10 square feet per bird, then that will work for up to 6 chickens (they will have 2 square feet each because they will only use it for sleeping. However, if you will have a smaller run (<6 feet each), you might want to give them more space inside and therefore have only 3 (4 square feet each in there).

I was hoping to make a large run that I can walk inside, and to free range them around my property. I would love to be able to have 4-6 if you guys think that would be humane.

I was hoping to make a large run that I can walk inside, and to free range them around my property. I would love to be able to have 4-6 if you guys think that would be humane.

Looks good and very sturdy. Small is OK if thats only the place they roost. Its A very good start...
thumbsup.gif

Um Oh and welcome to.....
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego.

hee hee.

deb

was thinking I would put 2 roost sticks across, one higher than the other. You can see the coop is slanted so one can be raised slightly. 3 birds per stick should be enough, right?

I personally try not to have roosts directly above each other, chickens poop a lot at night and bathing poop-covered chickens is not fun
sickbyc.gif

But if they are at an angle where that can't happen, two should be fine - if each is four feet long that gives them each a little over a foot of roost space.

Back
Top Bottom