How many chickens in this coop/run?

kellykate

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Yarmouth, Maine
I have an 8x6 coop and a 15x15 run. How many chickens would you think would comfortably fit in here and stay warm in the winter. I have 16 chicks right now (5 bantams and 11 standards) but have a feeling I need to sell a few as they are getting bigger but I want them to stay warm this winter. As of now, we are having no pecking issues whatsoever -- a pretty chill bunch. They free-range for a couple hours in the evening. Thanks for your help

One of my coops and runs are almost identical in size and originally I had 10 LF hens in there and figured it could hold 12-14 if they grew up together.
I've never had more than 11 and a rooster in there and most of the time about 5 and a roo.

I think 16 is just fine. And with 5 being bantams that helps. My largest chicken coop is 8x4 coop with 12x12run(+8x4 under the coop)and I started with 12 chickens in it and they did just fine. Right now I have 9(8hens 1rooster) in it and they look comfortable but I do plan to add 2 more hens before winter comes. So I will have 11 total.

Gorgeous photograph!

The only time you might have a problem spacewise is if you have to confine them to the coop for days on end due to extreme weather or predation issues.
Do you get a ton of snow there? Is the run roofed and the windward side protected? They may not spend much time in the run if the snow is very deep.

That's a nice little building, is it adequately ventilated? Humidity, from respiration and excretions, is serious concern with a crowded coop....especially in a freezing climate.
Heat is not necessary, and can be detrimental, if they have lots of ventilation and roosts are out of the direct wind/drafts.

Great article on ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom