How many chickens?

GIFC2020

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
I have recently acquired a 2x3 rabbit hutch which I plan to convert to a chicken coop. I have a 3x6 run and plan on adding 1 nesting box (the plywood kind from tractor supply). My question is how many chickens can I keep in it? I was thinking 3 golden polish bantams? I plan on free ranging for a few hours a day when the weather permits. I have 27 full size chickens but thought this would be an opportunity to try something new. Any help is appreciated!

I have recently acquired a 2x3 rabbit hutch which I plan to convert to a chicken coop. I have a 3x6 run and plan on adding 1 nesting box (the plywood kind from tractor supply). My question is how many chickens can I keep in it? I was thinking 3 golden polish bantams? I plan on free ranging for a few hours a day when the weather permits. I have 27 full size chickens but thought this would be an opportunity to try something new. Any help is appreciated!
While I am not familiar with the breed I can picture the size they must be as bantams. Adding together the coop size, run size, being able to forage, a nonaggressive breed; yes, I think you have enough room to comfortably house the three bantams. BUT, how about cold weather? You don't mention where you are from. Will the bantams be able to use the run year around and be able to free range? If not then your coop doesn't provide a lot of room. Are your winters short? Just some thoughts for you to consider. I did have full size polish at one time-unique! Good luck and enjoy the bantams.

Hm...NY has quite cold and snowy winters. Will your run be roofed?

I agree with all the others that you probably could get away with three bantams in there...it's certainly cutting it very close, though. 2 square feet per chicken in the coop and 6 in the run is really small. Usually I would never recommend getting just two chickens (if one departs, the other will be VERY distraught), but if you only housed a pair in there, the square footage would be much more adequate: 3 for the coop and 9 for the run, perfect for bantams. Just my two cents :) Either way, I'd see if you can roof your run or cover it with a thick clear tarp in the winter to minimize snow -- otherwise the run won't be used much in the winter. If you do go with three, try to free range as much as possible and provide diversions.

I love in northeast Florida and due to our 26 deg
Last season and our hot,humid Summer's, I put a roof open ended to allow heat escape.the roof has an 18inch height above the 6 ft walls. We regularly enter the run.I also added a box fan and marine bilge blower which moves 270cu.ft of air per min.

Back
Top Bottom