How many chickens?

Just to clarify, this thread shows the set up: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/20-chickens.1593907/ These should've been a single thread, this is why you're getting conflicing responses.

The "box" IS the coop. The run is the run. You free range so your run space is not the limiting factor. I would not have more than 6 chickens in your coop (going strictly by the one photo we see*) and you're close to double that.

* I can't see the ventilation on the coop since we only have the 1 angle so the ventilation might be the biggest issue here, unless the other sides of the coop are completely open into the run, in which case then the entire set up would be considered open air. In a true open air set up yes you could fit more birds as long as they can continue free ranging full time.
also, my ‘main box’ is actually 8x5 i was incorrect

The coop is the "box" area where you say they sleep. Your coop should have 3-4sqft per chicken so they have space to sleep comfortably as they roost.

The run is a covered/enclosed area outside of the coop where they can roam & roost when not in the coop. If you don't free range them, the run will serve as the area where they live. The more room, the better in the run, with a minimum of 10sqft per chicken if they free range.

I currently have 14 chickens with a 288sqft run, who only free range periodically, and I feel like they could use more space so now I'm building up to give them more room.

I also live in an area that stays hot. Your coop needs more ventilation, cross ventilation specifically, or it can get pretty hot in there

i live in alabama, so its warm all year until winter when it can get down to 20’s occasionally. maybe i could just put a heater and tarp in there. another idea i had was ‘adding on the the coop’ by putting a wooden dog house in the ‘run’ part.
You need a bigger coop already

a

40 square foot coop is too small
for 11 chickens? i disagree if following the 2-4sqft rule but maybe u didnt see that i upadated thay i measurered wrong when i got the 24 asqft
I can do the math, it barely meets the minimum for your current flock.

I can do the math, it barely meets the minimum for your current flock.
true it might not be enough for more, but even if i did 3sqft for each when everything ive read says 2-4 then they would need 33 sqft and i have 40 so it does meet the requirements.

Back
Top Bottom