How many chicks REALLY per 10x10 heating plate? And how many fit in a baby crib brooder (and for how long)?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
I can find the product listing that says 15 chicks can fit under a heating plate…but that sounds ridiculously high. I found a couple forums where people agreed 15 was an exaggeration, but what would you say the true max should be?

Same question for a brooder made from a baby crib (the big wooden crib, not a smaller pack n play)? How many chicks would that fit until they are off heat?

Anyone have any input? I’ve found a lot of posts about 12x24 heating pads, but not much about the smaller heat plates. Was considering getting 10 chicks in spring when the lows are around 50 or 60 at night and wasn’t sure if my 10x10 plate will be enough. Last time I had 3 chicks and there was PLENTY of space…but not sure if 10 will be pushing it.

Unfortunately, like with prefab coops, chick heating plates often claim to accommodate many more chicks than will realistically fit under them for the entire time they will need heat provided. That many chicks would fit as day-olds, but chicks grow so fast and will outgrow that space quite rapidly! Heat plates work best for about half of the chicks they're claimed for for the duration they'll need heat in my experience. Based on that, your plate rated for 15 chicks would probably more realistically cover 7-8 chicks. 10 chicks might be just a bit too crowded after a couple weeks.

As for the crib, what are the dimensions of it? I believe the recommendation for chicks is about 1 square foot of space per chick for the first month or so.

Unfortunately, like with prefab coops, chick heating plates often claim to accommodate many more chicks than will realistically fit under them for the entire time they will need heat provided. That many chicks would fit as day-olds, but chicks grow so fast and will outgrow that space quite rapidly! Heat plates work best for about half of the chicks they're claimed for for the duration they'll need heat in my experience. Based on that, your plate rated for 15 chicks would probably more realistically cover 7-8 chicks. 10 chicks might be just a bit too crowded after a couple weeks.

As for the crib, what are the dimensions of it? I believe the recommendation for chicks is about 1 square foot of space per chick for the first month or so.
The crib is approx 2.33 x 4.33 feet interior space, so I think it does work out just barely. We also plan to rehome some of them, so potentially their numbers will be lower after 4ish weeks when people willing to have them indoors at night would no longer need a heat source where we live that time of year (would be May by then). Or we do have a dog house we could turn into a backup brooder with minimal work. We did it once before.

But yeah, sounds like the heating pad may be too small.

I have the 10x10 brooder plate and it fit my 15 day old through week old chicks fine. But now that they are 1.5 weeks old, there is not enough room at all. I have a few hanging their heads out the side and a couple that are not under at all.
I have to get a light from my TSC store to make sure they are all warm enough through the night.
Very frustrating because the plate was around $80.

I absolutely love the plate, but if you have more than 10 or even less than that realistically… considering how long you’ll need to use it. Get a bigger plate. 😞

Back
Top Bottom