how many cover their coop floor with linoleum?

My 8'X12' coop has a sheet of vinyl that I got off the clearance roll at the local lowes. now my chickens can scratch away all the bedding and poop on an immatation cobblestone floor. I think the sheet is a lot more durable then sticky tiles, espically if you live in florida like me. The glue on the sticky tiles fails when its 110 degrees out and the tiles start to slide.

Quote:
I had to replace some of the stuff that was already here (for dogs); it was just stapled on at the edges, with a few roofing nails apparently added later. To replace it I used staples, reinforced in most areas (including seams between pieces) by screwing thru battens. Some of the battens were the metal strips sold for use with vinyl flooring edges (gotten nearly free, used, some from Habitat for Humanity store and some from local junk store); I didn't have enough so used some salvaged wooden doorstop trim for the rest. It all seems to work equally.

I'd be afraid that gluing the sheet down would make it too difficult to replace in future -- not a problem if you will just put a new layer on top but I just, by instinct and training, dislike putting things together that can't be taken back apart unless there is an essential reason for it. I'm not saying don't use glue, I'm just saying, that's me
tongue.png

Pat

We used a left over piece of linoleum from our bathroom restorations and cover it with approximately 6" of chips. The linoleum goes up the sides of the walls appraoximately 6".

We used a left over piece that we had that covered our "house" that measures 4x8 and nailed it down on top and over the sides. Makes the cleanup a lot easier and we werent sure how the "glue" would affect the chickens not to mention how difficult it would be if we had to replace it later on down the road.
hu.gif

Does anybody find they have mite problems with bugs getting in under the linoleum/vinyl and laying eggs???

I had read that caulking the edges really helps solve this problem...has anyone caulked their vinyl sheets??

I put in a sheet vinyl remnant. I used mastic to glue it to the plywood. At the edges, I caulked it, and then used quarter-round plastic moulding to really secure the edges. It's a dream to clean, and nothing gets underneath that I can tell.

the liner of our coop is a cut bit of rubber roof left over from when fil re did a roof.

If you glue the vinyl down, and either run it under the walls (during construction), or put molding around the edges, nothing is going to get underneath. I say this is a good reason to glue it down, as the pieces I have used without glue, like for the nestbox, have been a PITA and I eventually threw them out. If for SOME reason you need to redo the floor (I can't imagine why, as they never touch it with 4 inches of litter on top of it) you can simply do it like contractors do--emboss over the top to fill any holes, and glue another sheet right on top of that. If done properly the glue is almost dry when the vinyl is installed, and very soon there is no odor at all.

Back
Top Bottom