How many days can quail eggs sit before incubating?

count duckula

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Silver Spring
I have 10 quail that are about 12 weeks old. They started laying eggs 3 days ago 2 or 3 eggs a day. the eggs are now inside the ac. Just wanted to know how long the egg we be good for incubating and will the egg be fertile? This is the 1st eggs they have laid. thanks

Quote:
I would not set these eggs!! because more than likely they are small "pullet" eggs! I would wait a few weeks to get the bigger "hen" eggs to set!

Pullet egg on left... HATCHING egg on the right
wink.png

59035_dscf3201.jpg

Bigger image...
59035_dscf3202.jpg

Last edited:
I am responding to this old post for the people who have never hatched before...(Did we ever find out what the result was with this hatch?)

The only thing I would add about the eggs that started this thread, is that at this age, the quail may not be breeding yet - even though they are laying eggs. But as someone else posted, you'll never know until you try.

At 7 days in the incubator, you should be able to tell without question if they are viable. 7 Days isn't too much of a commitment.

Usually fertility of the eggs start dropping after a week and by 14 days after the egg has been laid it is rather unlikely to hatch. In the wild, a clutch of eggs might be 10-12 eggs meaning the oldest egg is still within the 14 day limit when they start sitting on the eggs. So if she hasn't started sitting 14 days after the first egg was laid, that one is unlikely to hatch - though some of the younger eggs might still hatch if she starts sitting, and the first one could still hatch as well.
Hay seems to trigger my buttons to go broody - a handful near the nest so they feel more sheltered and have some material to build a proper nest from. Probably more than a handful for bobwhites as they are larger..

I would say a maximum of 7 days. The fresher the eggs are the better. After 7 days they begin to lose viability, and have less of a chance of hatching. Make sure they are stored in the correct conditions, pointy end down.

Good luck!
smile.png

ETA: click the word-link above and scroll down a bit for temperature information
smile.png

Last edited:
I agree with the 7 days being a MAXIMUM. I keep my eggs in a wine cooler @ 60* for 7 days at the most. Then on the morning of the 7th day I set them on the egg trays to get to room temp for about 6 hours before I set them in the incubator. Its basically the same with all eggs except some partridge will stay fresh for up to 28 days but I never let mine get over 7 days before I set them.

I also agree with the 7 days, don't forget to turn them once a day or the yolk can stick to the side. Once they are in the incubator you need to turn them 3 times a day (I recommend automatic turner). Good Luck.

Also, if you buy eggs over the internet, let them sit for at least 8 hours (usually 24 hours is best) to adjust to room temp, but I wouldn't let these type of eggs sit for 7 days because they already took 2 to 3 days to get to you.

Back
Top Bottom