how many days for pure eggs?

Most breeders seem to use three weeks, but there have been a few cases reported on this forum where eggs stayed fertile with the rooster's sperm for 3-1/2 weeks after separation of hen and rooster. So three weeks and you are pretty safe. Four weeks and you are very safe.

Quote:
Are you wanting to know when a new rooster will have his new girls fertilized? I'm thinking a week ought to do it. Someone else will jump on here soon that'll know more than me. Hang on!

I did not realize it was that long.....I have let my chickens run around together and now I want to incubate my pure breeds so I guess I need to wait 2 more weeks with them up....I hate keeping them up on these warm beautiful days...

Good point, Trilyn. I may have misunderstood the question. It has happened before.

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to go through the hen's internal egg laying factory. It is available for fertilization the first 15 minutes of this journey. If a hen is bred on Monday, Monday's egg will not be fertile. Depending on the time breeding takes place and the timeof day it is laid, Tuesday's egg may not be fertile. I certainly would not count on it. Wednesday's egg should be fertile.

The average time a hen will stay fertile after a mating is about 2 weeks. It can be less and it can be more.

I just saw gapeachy's response. I'll send this anyway.

I am confused now, so to be safe do I need to wait about 4 weeks to assure that the hens eggs will only be pure with the rooster she is up with?.... I dont want to incubate and have half breeds....lol....

Back
Top Bottom