how many do female muskovies hatch

birdboy508

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
east taunton
just wondering because ive got 2 females.
cool.png

Well it all depends. I've had a single mom hatch as many as 17. Right now I have one mama Muscovy that hatched 11 babies 3 weeks ago. Another mama Muscovy hatched 10 babies 3 weeks ago and another mama Muscovy hatched out 5 babies 5 weeks ago.

I've had them hatch out as few as 1 and as many as 17. It depends on alot of factors. I will tell you one thing though, my hatch rate with the eggs is no where near as good as theirs is!
smile.png

Good luck!

Laurie

When we had our Chickenstock this year someone brought a mother muscovy and her 20 ducklings! She laid 21 eggs and only the one was a dud and all the ducklings survived.

apparently they can sit on up to 25 eggs. i dont let my girls sit on that many because its harder for them to look after that many and you get a poor hatch rate. i let my girls sit on 15 but they are sometimes sneaky and keep on laying to 20. i had 18 out of 20 hatch this year from a first time mum, not bad. on the other side of things i just had zero survive from 18 eggs last week:(

be careful muscovy are trying to take over the world:lol: i had a five month old girl hatch eggs this season, it just crazy!

my biggest hatch I've had so far was 22. Mine usually average between 12-20 with my smallest being 8 (that one was slacking lol). I've noticed my earlier spring hatches tend to be bigger, I suppose since they don't feel rushed to get sitting before too late like they do more towards fall. It's crazy when they pop out of the nest and you start counting and it never seems like you stop
smile.png

I plan on a 10 duckling average, thats not to say you can't have 30, or 3, its just a good over all average if your trying to book numbers at the inspection plant. If you pull the spring clutch off the hen when they are about 3-4 weeks old, she will hatch a summer clutch, and then you pull that one to get a fall clutch. Other wise you will get 2 clutches a year and cut your numbers considerably if you are going to production.

One of my muscovy hens hatched out 19 the first hatch of the spring. Later hatches were smaller. When she hatched 19, there was either one or two eggs that didn't hatch.

My first hen hatched out 24, second hen 14, third hen 11...then they all hatched a second batch later on. Oh and I only lost 5 through it all.

Back
Top Bottom